One ring to rule them all....

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

One ring to rule them all....

Postby Trough Lolly » Wednesday Apr 01, 2009 7:52 pm

Hi folks,
Under the flimsy excuse that my birthday approaches, I thought it was about time I got some more brewing bling!

So SWMBO, after spending oodles at a jewellery party, couldn't say no when I informed her that I had ordered a copper sparge ring from Grain and Grape! I've always been irked about batch sparging and in order to squeeze more efficiency out of the mash, I thought fly sparging would be of use. The problem with those rotating sparge arms or the ones with the Fermentap aerator attached is the risk of oxidising the mash with all that splashing / trickling sparge water.

The copper sparge ring gets the sparge water into the mashtun, but with minimal turbulence - it sits on top of the grain bed and the holes are on top of the ring, ensuring that it evenly disperses the water, once it fills the ring and shouldn't push air into the mash water.

But that's not all!!

I'm also planning on using the same sparge ring to sit in the bottom of the fermenter and aerate the wort with the aquarium pump hooked up with some tubing, as I prepare to pitch the yeast!
Try doing that with a Phil's sparge arm! 8)

If I remember, I'll take some pics of my preciousssss for all to see....

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Re: One ring to rule them all....

Postby Kevnlis » Wednesday Apr 01, 2009 8:00 pm

Nice work TL. I like the dual purpose angle! Can't wait for the action pics 8)
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby warra48 » Thursday Apr 02, 2009 6:28 am

Interesting idea.

Will be good to see some pics of it in action.

PS: Happy Birthday :D :D
warra48

Postby Neil » Thursday Apr 02, 2009 2:06 pm

Trough Lolly wrote:Hi folks,
Under the flimsy excuse that my birthday approaches, I thought it was about time I got some more brewing bling!

If I remember, I'll take some pics of my preciousssss for all to see....

Cheers,
TL

TL
This is one of the first things that I bought when I got into AG. I wish I knew you wanted one because I could have sent you mine! I haven't used it after the first few brews and I was advised that it was probably leading to less than desired efficiency levels due to channelling during the sparge. To be honest, I haven't tried it in my new Rubbermaid-type mash/lauter tun but seeing as I'm using steel braid I don't think it's viable. Best of luck with yours!

Neil
Neil

Postby Bizier » Thursday Apr 02, 2009 6:01 pm

I am trying not to make jokes about you posting pics of your ring on the net TL :lol:

Happy birthday whenever that is.

Can you please put out a public announcement when the RIS is on tap at the Wig & Pen? I can see a visit to my girlfriend's parents about then :twisted:
Bizier

Postby Trough Lolly » Friday Apr 03, 2009 7:52 pm

Bizier wrote:Can you please put out a public announcement when the RIS is on tap at the Wig & Pen? I can see a visit to my girlfriend's parents about then :twisted:

...I'll see you at the bar!

Cheers,
Bro Stout
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby Trough Lolly » Friday Apr 03, 2009 7:56 pm

Neil wrote:TL
This is one of the first things that I bought when I got into AG. I wish I knew you wanted one because I could have sent you mine! I haven't used it after the first few brews and I was advised that it was probably leading to less than desired efficiency levels due to channelling during the sparge. To be honest, I haven't tried it in my new Rubbermaid-type mash/lauter tun but seeing as I'm using steel braid I don't think it's viable. Best of luck with yours!
Neil

No worries Neil - I think the trick is you need to have a mash consistency that isn't too thin - that should eliminate the tendancy for the sparge water to channel it's way down the easiest path. We'll that's the theory anyway!! :D

I have found that my best mashes have a small layer of water over the grainbed at the end of the mash so I'll gently place the sparge ring on it and slowly add the sparge water - then the fun begins as I vorlauf the mash and try to keep the flow in equal to the flow out...Kinda like a RIMS!!

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Return to Grain brewing