Mash tun question

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

Mash tun question

Postby Cadbury » Tuesday Apr 14, 2009 12:46 pm

G'day everyone,
About to do my first AG. Tested out my mash tun with the braid and found that because the outlet is a little raised from the bottom of the esky (55L rectangular type) I'm leaving about 1.5 litres in the bottom. I just tested it with water. Is it alright to elevate the rear end of the esky to fully drain it? Should this be done with the first runnings or just after sparging or not at all? Any help would be great because I'm trying to calculate the amount of water needed to get my 30 Litres.
Cadbury
Cadbury

Re: Mash tun question

Postby drsmurto » Tuesday Apr 14, 2009 1:55 pm

Assuming you are using a brewing program like beersmith you can set this dead space in your equipment settings - lauter tun dead space.

drsmurto

Postby Tipsy » Tuesday Apr 14, 2009 3:25 pm

Cadbury wrote:Is it alright to elevate the rear end of the esky to fully drain it? 30 Litres.
Should this be done with the first runnings or just after sparging or not at all?

I had a home made copper manifold and would always do this. I usually did it just after the final sparge.

I now use a Beerbelly false bottom and tilting the tun wouldn't help because it picks up from the centre.

Go for it!, why leave any behind?
Tipsy

Postby Cadbury » Tuesday Apr 14, 2009 3:50 pm

thanks, that answered my question. Can't wait to hook in.
Cadbury

Return to Grain brewing