Freezing Malt Extract

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

Freezing Malt Extract

Postby SUBREW » Thursday May 21, 2009 10:31 am

Hi All,

Have been all grain for a while :D but have some tins of malt extract left over from my earlier kit and extract days... I just can't face making another extract brew now I have got used to all grain beer!

My question...

I want to feed the extract into some all grain brews to finish it up, but don't want to use a whole (1.5kg) tin in a brew as I don't want to throw my recipies off too much.. probably only 500g per 30L batch.

So if I open a tin can I freeze the remainder for a month or two until I brew again? Once thawed they'd go through a full 60min boil so I'm thinking any bugs picked up in the freezer will get killed off? or will the extract spoil in the freezer or by being frozen?

Anyone done /doing this?

Cheers

Subrew.
SUBREW

Re: Freezing Malt Extract

Postby timmy » Thursday May 21, 2009 1:59 pm

Hi,

You should be fine to freeze it. I keep my dry extract in the freezer and have no problems.

Cheers,

Tim
timmy

Postby Pale_Ale » Thursday May 21, 2009 2:38 pm

Hi,
You should just be able to keep it in a resealable plastic tub in a cupboard...it should be fine for a long long time at room temperature. I know you can buy bulk LME and I believe it is stored like that.

The only trouble is that it gets a bit messy with regard to measuring and scooping the desired malt out..in fact come to think of it freezing it would be quite handy because you could chop a block of malt off and measure the weight much more easily!

Cheers,
Pale
Coopers.
Pale_Ale

Postby billybushcook » Thursday May 21, 2009 3:51 pm

I just read on the Coopers web site that recomend storing any unused extract in sanitised jars, no mention of temp so I'm assuming they meant at ambient temp? although a frozen block would help to get the wort temps down!!

Cheers, Mick.
billybushcook

Postby SUBREW » Friday May 22, 2009 2:56 pm

Thanks Guys, I reckon the risk is low, and it'll be boiled when I use it so I'll go for it.

Cheers

SUBREW
SUBREW

Postby Pale_Ale » Friday May 22, 2009 3:02 pm

I've heard that a freezer contains more germs than your average toilet seat...not sure if that's even remotely true, but provided it's in a tightly sealed plastic container I don't think you'd have any worries.
Coopers.
Pale_Ale

Postby Kevnlis » Friday May 22, 2009 4:03 pm

Pale_Ale wrote:I've heard that a freezer contains more germs than your average toilet seat...not sure if that's even remotely true, but provided it's in a tightly sealed plastic container I don't think you'd have any worries.

When did you last scrub your freezer? How bout your toilet?
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby SUBREW » Sunday May 24, 2009 10:49 am

I've also heard that a computer keyboard has more germs than a toilet seat... so I guess my brew is at risk if I use BeerSmith too much on brew day :roll:

I'vce realised everything that comes out of a freezer should really be thoroughly cooked and I guess this will be no different and the extract will get at least a 60min boil so I think I've decided its a non issue...

Cheers

SUBREW
SUBREW

Postby Tipsy » Sunday May 31, 2009 6:15 pm

Kevnlis wrote:
Pale_Ale wrote:I've heard that a freezer contains more germs than your average toilet seat...not sure if that's even remotely true, but provided it's in a tightly sealed plastic container I don't think you'd have any worries.

When did you last scrub your freezer? How bout your toilet?

When was the last time you shit in your freezer? :lol:
Tipsy

Postby lethaldog » Tuesday Jun 02, 2009 11:45 am

SUBREW wrote:I've also heard that a computer keyboard has more germs than a toilet seat... so I guess my brew is at risk if I use BeerSmith too much on brew day :roll:

I'vce realised everything that comes out of a freezer should really be thoroughly cooked and I guess this will be no different and the extract will get at least a 60min boil so I think I've decided its a non issue...

Cheers

SUBREW

should i cook my ice-cream before consuming??
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby Bum » Tuesday Jun 02, 2009 6:20 pm

Fried ice-cream>normal ice-cream
Bum

Postby SUBREW » Wednesday Jun 03, 2009 2:43 pm

lethaldog wrote:
SUBREW wrote:I've also heard that a computer keyboard has more germs than a toilet seat... so I guess my brew is at risk if I use BeerSmith too much on brew day :roll:

Cheers

SUBREW

should i cook my ice-cream before consuming??

Yes that would be a baked alaska...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baked_Alaska
SUBREW