Hop Flowers

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

Hop Flowers

Postby hirns » Saturday Mar 20, 2010 8:46 am

Hoping to brew a Little Creatures Bright Ale (Tony's) and the recipe calls for 40g of cascade hop pellets at 0 min. I accidently ordered hop flowers :o . Making adjustments for AA% do I hop at the same rate as I would for pellets or do I need additional or fewer hops when using flowers?

Thanks

Hirns
hirns

Re: Hop Flowers

Postby Bizier » Sunday Mar 21, 2010 4:26 pm

I am assuming that they are NZ Cascade to be flowers.
I believe that you can expect a ballpark figure of 20% more utilisation of your alpha acids with pellets compared to flowers. So I would add more.
A quick google search provided thishttp://www.brew-dudes.com/whole-hops-hop-plugs-and-pellets/165
Bizier

Postby hirns » Sunday Mar 21, 2010 8:47 pm

Thanks Bizier, might have underhopped. Might dry hop some pellets. :)

Hirns.
hirns

Postby Finnagann » Monday Mar 22, 2010 1:38 am

hirns wrote:Thanks Bizier, might have underhopped. Might dry hop some pellets. :)

Hirns.

There are more or less three different things you get from your hops: flavour, aroma and bitterness. Bizier is talking about alpha acids or AAs which give you bitterness. You need to add hops to your boil in order to extract the bittering compounds, the longer the boil the more bitter up to 60-90 min.

Dry hopping will give you flavour and aroma but not much in the way of bitter (similar to late boil additions). Dry hopping may still be a good idea, but its a little different.
Finnagann

Return to Grain brewing