Marathon 6hr Mashout

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

Marathon 6hr Mashout

Postby hirns » Saturday May 15, 2010 10:16 pm

Mashed out leaving the tun draining into a sealed fermentor and was aiming for 23 litres. Came back after speedway 6 hours later to find I'd made only 21L. Wasn't going to add more as I figured the tun would be too cold and was thinking tannins or something and thought I'd reduce the overall volume as the OG was only 1030 on what I'd extracted. . A quick check of the temp in the tun showed 50C, so thinking double concoction, which I know nothing about, I added the extra 70C water to make up the 23litres.

I'm having a homebrew as I type, but not as relaxed as could be. Is all good or very bad :| ?

Hirns
hirns

Re: Marathon 6hr Mashout

Postby warra48 » Sunday May 16, 2010 2:58 pm

You should be OK. You will not extract tannins at 50ºC. I hope you boiled your 21 litres of wort extracted from the mash?
Gravity of 1.030 at 50ºC equates to gravity of 1.040 at 20ºC.
Decoctions are a process during mashing. It consists of removing a portion of the grains from the mash, raising the temperature of that to sacchrification temperature for 10 to 15 minutes, then boiling the grains for a time before adding them back to the main mash.
It's not clear where in your process you added the additional 70ºC water, but so long as you added it during the boil, you'll be fine.
warra48

Postby hirns » Sunday May 16, 2010 6:08 pm

Sorry, Warra for not being clear. I meant that I added additional sparge water to the grains after 6hrs. I added an extra 4litres or so which brought the mash temp back up over 60C and then stirred and soaked for 15min before recirculating the first runnings. I then did the normal 1 hour boil.
I was innitially concerned that the mash would be dead cold and was going to simply add extra dry malt to meet the SG, but upon seeing that the mash temp was still at 50c I decided extract additional malt from the grain.

Hirns
hirns

Postby warra48 » Monday May 17, 2010 6:55 am

I don't see why it wouldn't work for you.
All you will have done is to give yourself a very fermentable wort because of the long mash time.You've mashed over a large temperature range across all the sacchrification temperatures, down to protein rest temperatures. I'd expect your final gravity to be lower than normal.
warra48

Postby hirns » Monday May 17, 2010 8:11 am

Thank's Warra. I knew it would probably end as a dry beer. I was worried that some strange protein etc might be realesed from the grains after such a time. Thanks for the reminder about the temp compensation with the hydrometer, I know to do this, but had completely overlook it this time.

Hirns
hirns

Return to Grain brewing