re-using yeast.

Talk about methods, equipment and recipes for making brewed and distilled spirits at home.

re-using yeast.

Postby majinsoftware » Saturday May 19, 2012 6:35 pm

Are you able to reuse yeast if you use a turbo clear product in it?

Correct me if im wrong but my understand of how the turbo clear works is it forces the yeast to hibernate then stick together and fall to the bottom of the barrel.
So then once iv siphoned off the clear wash I would just have to collect the paste at the bottom and reuse it.

Im wanting to do this to further low the costs of production. As it is iv gotten it down to 2.04 USD per L of 96%, If I could get it down to 1.82 USD per L then it would be cheaper to run my car on then petrol. With the way the price of petrol is going tho 1-2 years and it will be the same price as its costing me to make the 96% anyway.

So far what iv done to lower the costs is:
Buy sugar in bulk
Ferment in bulk
Use the still's cooling water output (hot water) to melt the sugar and bring wash up to 30C before adding yeast.
Ferment in server room which stays around 25-28C so yeast is near optimum temperature and completes in 5-7 days.
And in a few months I will be replacing the sugar with sugar cain molasses which I can get at 1/4 the price of the sugar.
majinsoftware

Re: re-using yeast.

Postby majinsoftware » Thursday May 24, 2012 5:02 pm

Well I done that and it seems to be working fine, Will see for sure in a week.
majinsoftware

Re: re-using yeast.

Postby majinsoftware » Thursday May 31, 2012 3:14 pm

Well it has worked by not as well as using fresh yeast.
The fresh yeast I did at the same time has finished as 19% alk wash and still bubbles every 1-2mins, Where the stuff with the re-used yeast is only at 10% and stopped bubbling 2 days ago.
Also iv noticed that the re-used yeast wash has cleared its self out almost fully already with out having to add anything.

So Iv come to the conclusion that it would still be more cost effective to just buy fresh yeast each time since you get another 9-10% in your wash, Which I would imagine would be twice as much output once stilled.
I just dont have the room to leave it a extra 2-3 weeks to naturally clear so I guess ill just reuse yeast thats had clear in it for when I have a lot of fruit to waste.
majinsoftware

Return to Spirits