Apple Jack

Talk about methods, equipment and recipes for making brewed and distilled spirits at home.

Apple Jack

Postby RuddyCrazy » Monday Nov 12, 2012 6:50 am

G'day Guy's,
Well after my apple cider run where I got 36 longnecks I filled my 5 litre boil pot on my pot still and distilled up about 800ml of apple jack. Now doing the wet finger test this is one smooth brew and it will burn only if a flame is present so I do reckon the % isn't right up there. Now as far as watering it down to make it drinkable I have searched around but not found the answers I'm looking for. So just how much water to add to get the liquor down in acl % is my big Q??????

Anyway guys here's a pic of my pot still.

The pot still is made from 2" SS with a milk fitting at the base for easy stripping and I have made a 0.30" SS screen that sits in to stop solids going up the still in operation. Just after the bend a 2"-1" reducer was welded on then 1" pipe is the inner tube section. The 2" outer pipe forms the water jacket. The unit hanging from the still is my 400 amp clamp meter which has a temp function and the probe is pushed up it is positioned at the top of the bend. For the cooling that black drum is 3/4's filled with rainwater and I have a 12 volt flowjet pump on the ground. Now to power the flojet I used a 240 volt to 12 volt downlight transformer I got from construction site for free and a 35 amp bridge rectifier with a smoothing cap on the output. To keep the transformer cool I have 2 off 24 volt fans running of the 12 volt supply and it does now run nice and cool throughout the whole operation.

for the heating I'm using an elcheapo gas burner from bunnings and the gas bottles are under $10 for 4 of them. One does have to carefull with the gas adjustment but eh for an elcheapo still heater it is working fine.

Cheers Bryan
Last edited by RuddyCrazy on Friday Dec 07, 2012 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RuddyCrazy

Re: Apple Jack

Postby RuddyCrazy » Friday Dec 07, 2012 4:06 pm

G'day Guy's,
Well I have answered my own question and lashed out and bought a spirits hydrometer from brewmaster on the way home from work. Now last night I found a good pdf guide to dilution and it is the US standard one.

http://alcbevtesting.com/wp-content/upl ... table1.pdf

Yesterday after bottling 30 longnecks of Canadian Blonde I had enough to run the pot still and after 2 hours I got 270ml of liquor out and the pot temp was starting to rise so I called it quits before the tails got into the mix too badly. Using the new spirits hydrometer the liquor came in at 77% so working out a rough guide between 20 and 25% I tried out 35mls of liquor with 75mls of water. Man what a nice drop and even better with coke so after this 110ml is gone best to make up a batch for the rest of the night as after a few glass's one better not be careless with this stuff.

I'll soon be on the hunt for some 12mm cooper tube so I can make the condenser for my reflux still then the pot still can be retired to making herb oils and scented water.

Currently I only have the 5 litre pot going and I do have to finish the 25 litre pot which is currently serving as the bath for washing longnecks.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy

Re: Apple Jack

Postby Shanus » Wednesday Jun 26, 2013 6:05 pm

how did it taste?
what was ur recipe to make the jack?
Shanus

Return to Spirits