dex with or without carbon??

Talk about methods, equipment and recipes for making brewed and distilled spirits at home.

dex with or without carbon??

Postby brew monkey » Tuesday Mar 27, 2007 2:58 pm

i have a mate with a still and am able to borrow it. i know he buys the dex with the carbon fragments in it.is it ok if i just use plain dex? as i have a shit load and havnt been able to find out if the carbon for the filtering is the same as whats in the pack and what ratio it has to be and dont really want to go buy dex if i have 20kg sitting in my brew room?? any help would be apreciated
brew monkey

Postby Brewaholic » Tuesday Mar 27, 2007 7:34 pm

Sure is mate especially since it should still be filtered after anyway i would just go with white sugar if the still is quailty {ie-90%+} since most impuritys will be distiled out in the process and you will save heaps of $$$$$
Brewaholic

Postby brew monkey » Tuesday Mar 27, 2007 9:25 pm

how much is plain sugar per kg cause i baught bulk malt and dex and for 25kg dex it was $50 so $2 per kg thats about the same as white sugar isnt it. dont really take notice of the price only get white sugar for my caffine beverages
brew monkey

Postby Brewaholic » Wednesday Mar 28, 2007 6:56 pm

White sugar is about half that but if you already have a heap of dex i spose its just as easy.
Brewaholic

Return to Spirits