Condenser cooling

Talk about methods, equipment and recipes for making brewed and distilled spirits at home.

Condenser cooling

Postby sato » Thursday Jan 15, 2009 8:54 pm

Hey Guys
Just interested to know what type of cooling set up are you using for your Condenser when you are stilling a run?
Do you recycle the water or do you run it straight from the tap and let it drain out into the drain or garden?

Cheers
sato

Re: Condenser cooling

Postby Shanus » Friday Jan 16, 2009 3:03 pm

i have two big 70l drums and i pump it from one drum to the other drum with a solar fountain pump i bought of ebay havent done a run yet but looking foward to doing it
i am planning on putting lots of ice in the main drum and then pumping it throu to the other drum and if i need more water i will move it back in the the first one with some more ice
i have been freezing ice cream containers full of water so i should have some good ice cubes for my drums.

im sure there are other ways of doing this im new and trying something i think should work reall well
Shanus

Postby sato » Friday Jan 16, 2009 8:28 pm

OK . unfortunately I dont have the room to keep drums of that size but I do have 1 idea that I hope will work.
I am still trying to find a reliable pump to supply the cooling water to the condensor as i have had a couple failures during runs and it's not nice to see ethanol steam comming out of the condensor when the cooling water pump fail, as I.m running a recycling set up.
sato

Postby lethaldog » Wednesday Jan 21, 2009 10:26 am

I know a guy :wink: :wink: who uses tap water and collects it in 25 litre cubes and puts it in the washing machine and uses it to clean fermenters etc. just make sure you save all your washing for the day cos you will fill a couple of loads :wink:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Return to Spirits