Making a good Wild Turkey

Talk about methods, equipment and recipes for making brewed and distilled spirits at home.

Making a good Wild Turkey

Postby Sugarandyeast » Sunday May 02, 2010 7:53 pm

Just joined this forum and wanted to put out there my recipe for Wild Turkey and would like to know if I can improve it. I am using Spirit Unlimited product starting from their Classic Yeast Kit and 8 Kilo of standard white sugar. One wash is giving me safely 3.5 litres at 86% through a reflux still. I am using filtered water to bring that down to 43%. This is then being filtered through a Z filter and the 7 litres I have is taking around two days to filter through. I am then filtering the 7 litres through coffee filters and decant the 7 litres back in to two 3.5 litre batches. I am then adding a packet of their Gobblers chips to 3.5 litres and letting that soak for at least two weeks. From there it is again filtered through coffee filters. The 3.5 litres then has a American Bourbon satchel and a bottle of their Rye Whiskey flavour added. I am them adding 10ml of Glycerine per litre and mixed up well this is a very fine prodcut to drink. I saw this recipe on a site once before and have enjoyed drinking it for a number of years. As a new member of this forum I was just wanting to know from you fellow distillers if this can be improved and if so....how? :lol: :lol:
Sugarandyeast

Re: Making a good Wild Turkey

Postby 6250 » Monday May 24, 2010 11:12 am

sounds pretty good! should try it myself.
could possibly add instead of the american bourbon essences try the edwards scrub turkey essence. i find that quite nice as it is anyway. just a thought.
cheers

Re: Making a good Wild Turkey

Postby lethaldog » Tuesday Aug 17, 2010 11:08 am

I use the gobblers chips but instead of the rye i use kentucky bourbon seems to go ok, also try and leave to soak for 4 weeks and you could probably drop the glycerine, i dont like it but thats just my preference..
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Return to Spirits