Canobolas Hotel - Orange NSW

Been to a good pub, or bad, lately? Found a bar with a great selection of beer? Looking for a new local or somewhere to visit on holidays?

Canobolas Hotel - Orange NSW

Postby RUM57L » Tuesday Aug 10, 2010 9:12 am

Hi All,

Thought i'd share an enjoyable experience with you all.

Earlier this year in May the missus and myself went on a brief trip out near Orange NSW, camping fishing and being outdoors is something we love to do together.
On this trip we ducked into the town of Orange to pick up some supplies and walk the main st checking out the shops.

We came across the Canobolas Hotel which is named after an extinct volcano in the area, which we also visited.

I'd say just from having a look around town that the Canobolas is the pick of the pubs for sure, with on street seating and a range of bars we felt welcomed and comfortable, the missus wont step foot in a pub if it looks "unclean" as she puts it.

Anyway...

The bistro is awesome, we had the lunch special which was $5 for a beef burger and chips.. but i spied some rather nice cuts of meat in the butchers cabinet besides the counter, you can select your steak to be cooked or cook it yourself out the back.

The burgers were generous for a quick lunch along with a few pints of Bulmers cider for me and a coke for the missus, we sat out in the sun and watched the people go by, big rigs roll past and enjoyed our visit to the Canobolas Hotel.

I hope to get back there soon!

Ben
RUM57L

Re: Canobolas Hotel - Orange NSW

Postby Anna » Wednesday Aug 11, 2010 4:31 pm

Hi Ben! OH and I stayed at the Canobolas Hotel a couple of years ago when on a bike tour around that area. What an interesting pub! There was something odd about it which I just can't remember now, but from memory it had a sort of oldie-worldy art deco feeling about it. I know I was fascinated with the size and kinda emptiness. It was like stepping back in time and reminded me of the Hotel New Hampshire in the book/movie. At least I think it was the same hotel - someone correct me if I've got the wrong one! We're planning on visiting Orange again shortly to check out some kit homes, so I'm dying to have another look and see if it's changed at all. I hope not, but from your post it seems it may have been refurbished. We didn't try the restaurant or bar - did you notice if they've got Coopers Green on tap? :wink:
Anna

Postby RUM57L » Thursday Aug 12, 2010 7:55 am

G'Day Anna,

Its still large and roomy on the inside but may have been refurbished as the inside lounge seating looked pretty plush.. but dont confuse that with "trendy" as it still pronounced alot of old school charm, just very welcoming if you know what i mean.

I'm sorry I cant remember what else was on tap there as i was suffering from tunnel vision for the Bulmers Cider, hope you can remind me though as i'd like to get out there again before xmas.

Wow I'm envious of the way you get to see the country roads and pubs, I need a bike pronto!

Theres a spot on the way out to Orange from Sydney called Lucknow.. they have a small pub there i've been meaning to stop at, have you been there?
RUM57L

Postby Anna » Thursday Aug 12, 2010 11:08 am

I'm glad they haven't gone all "trendy"! Hate that type of pub. We just love to tour around and stay the night at old country pubs. I haven't actually tried the one at Lucknow, but will probably stop there on our way to Orange shortly, just to check out the beer!

The Royal at Mandurama, near Carcoar, on the Mitchell Highway just south of Orange is another great one. A real one-horse town, but the pub is great, with a very friendly young publican and, like so many of the "good" ones, a lovely big open fire. Had a great hamburger there (but you must forgive the big VB sign over the front door! :wink: ). I wasn't into beer when I was there, so I don't know what is on tap.

On the subject of "Royals", friends of mine from work have just quit and taken over the management of the Royal at Cooma. Looking at Google Maps, it's definitely going to be on our list of country pubs - must give them a ring and find out what beers they have.

While I'm on the subject I've just gotta recommend our "local" when we're at our property near Macksville - the Bowra Hotel in Bowraville. They now have COOPERS PALE ALE on tap! Yeeeaayyy! We always drop in on a Saturday afternoon when we're staying up there, to sit on the upstairs verandah and watch the town go by, or just have a catch-up chat with the young publican, Shane.

I could go on and on.... see what you've started!

Yes, you'd better get yourself a bike!! :mrgreen:
Anna

Postby RUM57L » Friday Aug 13, 2010 12:05 pm

Whoa,

There are just so many to visit, lucky i'm young enough to get to them all before i'm an old codger!

I remember seeing The Royal at Mandurama and wanting to call in there, although the missus wanted to press on to town which is usually the case and i guess it'd be unfair for me to stop into every single pub on our trips..

She's wise to my "toilet stops" now anyhow as one time i left her in the car while i was putting down a cold one in the O'brien hotel Narooma, i simply said i'd run in for a quick p!... p can mean pot? heheh

Be sure to let us know whats on tap at at the royal at cooma as i can say we may be headed that way within 6 months cant say the same for macksville tho .. which is unfortunate!

Ben
RUM57L

Return to Pubs and bars