Beer and Lurv

Been to a good pub, or bad, lately? Found a bar with a great selection of beer? Looking for a new local or somewhere to visit on holidays?

Beer and Lurv

Postby Sans MB » Wednesday Jun 28, 2006 3:44 pm

Anyone know of Melbourne inner-city bars that offer (1) good beer (2) good music - preferrably 80s and (3) suitably private snogging zones? :twisted:
Sans MB

Postby Beerpig » Wednesday Jun 28, 2006 4:19 pm

Yep, they are called brothels

Just jokes OK

Cheers
Beerpig

Postby Iron-Haggis » Wednesday Jun 28, 2006 5:48 pm

Good 80s music? Isn't that an oxymoron.
Punk in Drublic
Iron-Haggis

Postby dags64 » Thursday Jun 29, 2006 9:28 am

Iron-Haggis wrote:Good 80s music? Isn't that an oxymoron.

big hair, Duran Duran film clips, it dosnt get any better :wink:
Corripe Cervisiam
dags64

Postby Wassa » Thursday Jun 29, 2006 1:37 pm

No such thing as good 80's music. The beginning of RAP and hip hop...YUCK!!!
The liver is Evil and must be punished!!
Wassa

Postby MagooMan » Friday Jun 30, 2006 12:56 am

Metro in burke street
Deutsches Reinheitsgebot: Deutsches Bier ist von Wasser, Hefe, Hepfen und Malz gemacht. Wenn nicht, DASS IST GAR KEIN BIER!!! Ich liebe Kuupers Koelsch und Frueh Koelsch.
MagooMan

Postby Oliver » Saturday Jul 01, 2006 11:34 am

Sans MB ... sounds like a font. (Sorry, that was my little newspaper joke :oops: )

Unfortunately I can't help with bars that meet all your criteria, but Transit, at the top of Transport in Fed Square has some secluded spots and a good range of beer, including the original, real Budweiser Budvar. Mmmmm.

However, the lack of '80s music lets it down, Sans MB (who I assume is not a bloke, given your use of the words "lurv" and "snogging" :wink: ).

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Sans MB » Saturday Jul 01, 2006 12:52 pm

I know Transit - will give it a try with someone special. Unfortunate about the music, tho.

Metro sounds ok - remember it well from the first time around. Ooooh, that got pretty messy.

Cor-rect assumption as to gender, Mr Moderator. Accordingly, I'm not all that familiar with brothels (I'm not THAT sort of girl), but perhaps BeerPig can help...

Actually, I lie, my ex's father ran the California Club many years ago. Can't really remember the music - just many mirrors and towels... and little blister packs of lube.
Sans MB

Postby Oliver » Saturday Jul 01, 2006 1:07 pm

Happy to help out a damsel in distress, Sans MB.

I hope you put any information gleaned here to good use :wink:

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Sans MB » Saturday Jul 01, 2006 1:12 pm

Indeed I will, tho I was hoping that amongst all these registered users (many of whom would be in Melbourne I'm tipping), I could get some ideas for my ideal drinking spot.

Nevertheless, I shall persist in my search, and no doubt will have some fun along the way.

On a related topic....

There is much written about good wines that assist in the love-making process, but given this is a beer site, anyone got suggestions as to the sort of beer one should serve to get your man (or woman, for that matter) in the mood for lurv?

Sans MB
Sans MB

Postby Cat » Saturday Jul 01, 2006 1:23 pm

Sans MB wrote:There is much written about good wines that assist in the love-making process, but given this is a beer site, anyone got suggestions as to the sort of beer one should serve to get your man (or woman, for that matter) in the mood for lurv?

Sans MB

Any beer? ;)

If they're a bit of a beer fiend, try sourcing out some rare beers that he/she probably won't have tasted yet (Purvis in Surrey Hills is a good place to source these beers) and presenting a selection. I'd be quite pleased with my boyfriend if he did that for me!

As for 80s music, I just googled a search and came up with Club Retro. Not sure if this is what you're looking for though, as it seems to be more of a night club and there doesn't seem to be much privacy.

One place I remember is the Kitten Club which while it doesn't have 80s music (but does some nice jazz from what I can recall) serves somem pretty decent cocktails and drinks, and also has a love lounge on the upper floor.
Cat

Postby Oliver » Saturday Jul 01, 2006 1:23 pm

Sans MB,

It can be as much about the moment and the thought as the beer involved ...

Just after 'er indoors and I started seeing each other, I was lying in bed when she appeared with a longneck of VB and two glasses and announced "It doesn't get any better than this."

I didn't have the heart to tell her (although she now well realises) that VB wasn't exactly my beer of choice and so, in fact it could "get better than this". But it was the thought that made me realise I was onto a good thing :wink:

(By the way, this was in the PM; we weren't having a beer breakfast. I wouldn't like anyone to think I've got an alcohol problem or anything!)

So, Sans MB, keep your man happy with beer and you can't go wrong!

Cheers,

Oliver

PS It's nice to see a few ladies on the forum these days.
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Sans MB » Saturday Jul 01, 2006 1:29 pm

Thanks Cat - a ripper suggestion and one that I will certainly follow up. :lol:
Sans MB

Postby Beerpig » Saturday Jul 01, 2006 6:53 pm

I'm sticking by my original suggestion

Hey, I'd even pay to watch!

Enough of my peculiarities ................. still joking OK

Cheers
Beerpig

Postby Oliver » Saturday Jul 01, 2006 6:56 pm

Bucket of cold water over here for Beerpig, please :D

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Beerpig » Saturday Jul 01, 2006 7:00 pm

Make it a bucket of pilsner & I shall be content

Cheers
Beerpig

Postby steveo » Saturday Jul 01, 2006 8:51 pm

Check out this site,

http://www.thehappiesthour.com/

sign up for their newsletter, and find out where to get really cheap and sometimes even FREE BEER!

Enjoy,

Steve
Steve no function beer well without
steveo

Postby rwh » Monday Jul 10, 2006 12:35 pm

Well, not sure about the 80s music, but I was really impressed with the Trader Bar which is on the corner of Collins and Exhibition Streets, Melbourne. You have to go round the back and enter via a door that leads to a steep flight of steps leading down.

It has nice couches and things and the tasteful music that they play isn't up so loud that you can't have a chat. The main draw of the place is that they have a stock-market type system where the cost of your beer varies based on the demand, with the current prices displayed on screens around the place. The market is split up based on continents. So you tend to buy whatever's cheapest at the time, whether that be European, American, Asian etc beers, and thus you end up trying a wide variety of premium beers for a good price. Very fun.
w00t!
rwh

Return to Pubs and bars