Your Favorite Pubs

Been to a good pub, or bad, lately? Found a bar with a great selection of beer? Looking for a new local or somewhere to visit on holidays?

Postby matto » Friday Sep 15, 2006 12:23 pm

Not really a pub.

BUT have been to a couple of different tastings of late around the Melbourne Locale.

Best one - Fed Square - Large number of different MicroBrewers, including (and only limited by my hazy memory) Mountain Goat, Three Ravens, Grand Ridge ....... Some great beers to taste from all their ranges, and the brewers on hand to ask questions.

2nd Best - Good Food and Wine Show - Although focused on wineries, did have a fair range of beers, including a demonstration from Chuck Hahn (James Squire) on complimenting food and beer.
matto

Postby Trizza » Wednesday Oct 25, 2006 12:08 pm

Little Creatures Brewery, on the swan river in perth was great.
Sorta a mix of a pub/brewery/restaurant on the river just out of the CBD.
Got Malt?
Trizza

Postby Oliver » Monday Nov 06, 2006 11:33 am

dags64 wrote:Goatsby, I have been to the Rose in Fitzroy a few times a few years back, even have a stubby cooler from there
you may be thinking of the Dan OConnell or the Wellington in North Adelaide off the main drag, or the Queens Head

most pubs in North Adelaide are good, Royal Oak, Oxford, Archer

I second that. Adelaide has some great pubs, and most haven't had their souls destroyed by pokies. Plus, most half-decent pubs there have at least one Coopers on tap.

You can't go past the Austral in Rundle Street. It was the first pub to have Coopers on tap.

If you're in Geelong ( :shock: ) the National (Nash) near the top of the hill in Moorabool Street is pretty good. They even have their own noodle bar and sell dim sims from a steamer at the bar as bar snacks!

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby dags64 » Monday Nov 06, 2006 3:43 pm

Oliver wrote:
dags64 wrote:Goatsby, I have been to the Rose in Fitzroy a few times a few years back, even have a stubby cooler from there
you may be thinking of the Dan OConnell or the Wellington in North Adelaide off the main drag, or the Queens Head

I second that. Adelaide has some great pubs, and most haven't had their souls destroyed by pokies. Plus, most half-decent pubs there have at least one Coopers on tap.

You can't go past the Austral in Rundle Street. It was the first pub to have Coopers on tap.

If you're in Geelong ( :shock: ) the National (Nash) near the top of the hill in Moorabool Street is pretty good. They even have their own noodle bar and sell dim sims from a steamer at the bar as bar snacks!

Cheers,

Oliver

I know the Nash, my wife is from Geelong and we used to go the Nash often, her old man used to work behind the bar there
they used to have $2 counterys for lunch 8) this was back in the early 80's though :roll:
Corripe Cervisiam
dags64

Postby Longrasser » Sunday Nov 26, 2006 8:51 am

:lol:
Last edited by Longrasser on Monday Jan 29, 2007 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Longrasser

Postby goatsby » Sunday Nov 26, 2006 10:11 am

Yes yes it was the Queens Head they even have it on the web

http://www.queenshead.com.au/history.html

mind you I still prefer their 70s 8os decor, but I suppose people are more into wining and dining these days

All Adelaide pubs I have been too have been good.

THE SOONER MELWAYS STREET DIRECTORYS COVER ALL AUSTRALIAN CITIES THE BETTER, they make it so much easier to find a pub, this UBD Adelaide I use is a total disgrace

Thanks again for remonding me of the pub.

Oliver wrote:

Cheers,

Oliver

Yes I am in Geelong a bit mainly to watch footy, I do know The Clarendon, Valley Inn (when it was run by Darren Flanigan), Lord Of the Isles (RUINED by pokies), even walked to the Elepahnt and Castle after the footy once as I liked the name and it was on the Melways, But have never been to National for some reason.

Quite surprising it is 3 storys high and stands out like dogs balls on its site., but I have never been there, so mark it down for my next Geelong expedition!!

http://www.nationalhotel.com.au/launch.htm

Thanks Oliver

BTW what is the best HB shop in Geelong?
goatsby

Postby Oliver » Sunday Nov 26, 2006 12:53 pm

goatsby wrote:I am in Geelong a bit ... walked to the Elephant and Castle after the footy once ...

How could I forget the Elephant and Castle? It's a great pub with heaps of excellent beers on tap, including (last time I was there) three or four English ales. And not ruined by renovation or pokies.

goatsby wrote:BTW what is the best HB shop in Geelong?

As far as I know, there's only one homebrew shop in Geelong. Coincidentally it's on the same street as and not far from the Elephant and Castle. It's at 164 Bellarine Street, on the corner of McKillop Street. Ph (03) 5221 3985.

Last time it was there, which admittedly was more than six years ago, it was very basic. I'll see if Geoff has any thoughts, as it's his local.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Geoff » Sunday Nov 26, 2006 2:21 pm

It goes by the utilitarian name Geelong Home Brew Supplies and is located at 164 Bellerine Street (cnr McKillop Street) Geelong. There's not much you'd ever need that Kevin couldn't fix you up with, and he hates a chat about golf and cricket.
Geoff

Previous

Return to Pubs and bars