Pubs in Canberra

Been to a good pub, or bad, lately? Found a bar with a great selection of beer? Looking for a new local or somewhere to visit on holidays?

Re: Pubs in Canberra

Postby jello » Friday Aug 19, 2011 7:53 am

lob wrote:Zeirholz are opening a brewery/bar on campus at Canberra University. I believe It'll open sometime late 2011. Source; Plans are on display on campus:

Sounds good. A shame its not ready next weekend :)

I'll be heading down to Canberra on the 26th for a few days of R&R. Missus is going to the states, so i'm going down to visit mother.

A trip to the Wig & Pen will be in order.
Jeff.
jello

Postby milliner1986 » Monday Dec 12, 2011 6:28 pm

I will be in canberra for a good part of next year for work where we got a house in red hill. Everyone raves about the kingo (kingston hotel) down there. Haven't been there yet does it live up to the hype?
milliner1986

Postby lob » Monday Dec 19, 2011 5:17 am

They have Coopers and Fat Yak on tap. Both over-priced ($6 and $6.90 respectively.) Everything else on tap is Carlton et al or Fake Euro. Nothing in bottles worth buying, just Crowns etc. They're owned by the same mob who own the Uni pub in Civic (who are building an "Ivy" next door to the Uni Pub because the owner "loves the Ivy".) The place is run like a well-oiled Woolies/Coles pub operation. I personally hate the place. No women, or almost none, it's almost all blokes who go there. I'm not saying I like to sit and perv at the opposite sex constantly (I'm married), but they do add to the atmosphere. I've actually started going back to the Wig & Pen as my main waterhole...when places like the Kingston charge $6 for Coopers I may as well spend an extra $1 for Rumpole Pale.

But yeah, I can't wait for Zeirholz to open at UC. Apart from anything else, because it's on campus, with (poor?) students the main market, I'm guessing (hoping) the beers will all be $5 (or less.) It's still a "construction zone", but I'm guessing it'll open early 2012.
Broome Pale Ale. WA's Finest Craft Beer.
lob

Postby lob » Saturday Feb 25, 2012 3:52 am

Broome Pale Ale. WA's Finest Craft Beer.
lob

Previous

Return to Pubs and bars