STREET DIRECTORIES WITH PUB LISTINGS

Been to a good pub, or bad, lately? Found a bar with a great selection of beer? Looking for a new local or somewhere to visit on holidays?

STREET DIRECTORIES WITH PUB LISTINGS

Postby goatsby » Sunday Nov 26, 2006 10:34 am

The sooner Ausway publishing covers all Australian cities the better,

The Melways, Brisways, Sydways

directorys have won Australian cartography awards and IMHO they should win a award from O&G homebrewing

the reasons

1. Comprehensive listing of every pub in every city in excellent easy to use format
2. For logistical planning of pub crawls
3. public transport for the way home
4. finding quaint out of the way pubs

At the moment I am trying to locate pubs in Adelaide i went to in 80s and the UBD is a total disgrace,

But by far my worst experience is driving with a mate to Canberra, we took the short cut from Tumut over the Brindabella ranges at near dusk, because the atlas we used had a "road" going there ( which correctly should have been classified as a track on a decent cartographic publication. Anyway after corrogation after corragtion broken up by the frequent large potholes at the speed of 60kmh we made it hours later to Canberraat night. Of course we didnt have a Canberra map, we were to visit a mate, so we thought we get a few takeaways from a pub for when we visit. We spent at least a hour and a half looking for a bootle shop, driving all around Canberra via the City Centre , Parliament house and across the lake BUT could not find a pub. And we couldnt find our mates place either, and a public phone to ring our mate to get directions. It worked out all right in the end but the moral is

NEVER GO TO CANBERRA WITHOUT A MAP < GPS SYSYTEM, AND COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS.

The sooner Ausways do a Canberra street directory the better!!

They may even win a humanitarian award for it!!
goatsby

Postby Oliver » Sunday Nov 26, 2006 12:59 pm

Agree about Ausway's mapping of pubs. Very, very handy when you're thirsty or meeting friends.

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby goatsby » Saturday Dec 30, 2006 1:34 pm

I was just looking at the UBD south australian towns of the places i used to go through on fishing trips to Tumby Bay, I am trying to remeber a pub at Peterborough it was in the main street and had a bar mirror of a old south australian 4-8-4 Locomotive behind the bar, a nice local touch!

But the fuggin ubd format just uses a H with a circle for hotels and doesnt even bother naming the pubs. Does anyone know what this pub is called I think its the middle one in Main Street.
goatsby

Postby Oliver » Saturday Feb 17, 2007 6:30 pm

Oliver
Administrator

Return to Pubs and bars