Adelaide bars

Been to a good pub, or bad, lately? Found a bar with a great selection of beer? Looking for a new local or somewhere to visit on holidays?

Adelaide bars

Postby Pale_Ale » Saturday Dec 23, 2006 11:44 am

Since there are a few SA brewers online, thought I'd start a thread to see if there were any undiscovered gems out there!

For me, a few of my favourites:

The Austral - Aged kegs of Sparkling

The Union - Hoegaarden on tap and a good all-round selection

The Duke of York - Again, good selection
Coopers.
Pale_Ale

Re: Adelaide bars

Postby dags64 » Saturday Dec 23, 2006 1:47 pm

Pale_Ale wrote:Since there are a few SA brewers online, thought I'd start a thread to see if there were any undiscovered gems out there!

For me, a few of my favourites:

The Austral - Aged kegs of Sparkling

The Union - Hoegaarden on tap and a good all-round selection

The Duke of York - Again, good selection

I concur, I was at the Austral last night for a few and the Union goes off on ANZAC day
some good ones in North Adelaide, The Royal Oak, the Welly and the Dan OConnell

also the Edinburgh in Mitcham is a great pub as well
Corripe Cervisiam
dags64

Postby DarkFaerytale » Tuesday Dec 26, 2006 1:15 pm

was just in adelaide recently, the wheatshef (think i spelled it right) had a rather large selection of tap and bottled beers, really enjoyed that place
DarkFaerytale

Postby Oliver » Thursday Dec 28, 2006 9:58 am

I went home to Adelaide for Christmas and had the pleasure of drinking in five pubs.

On Saturday the 23rd the missus and I took my mum's shopping trolley and went to stock up on Christmas grog at the North Adelaide Village. With a case of Pale Ale, two sixers of Corona, four bottles of sparkling red, four bottles of other wine, two litres of Farmers Union Iced Coffee and two litres of orange juice, we set off on a rather circuitous route home.

We visited the Archer in O'Connell Street (not bad), the Dan O'Connell in Tynte Street (an "Irish" pub, so a bit dodgy) and the Wellington on Wellington Square (OK). Needless to say we achieved legendary status at each pub by sitting down for a drink with litres of grog in the trolley next to us.

On Christmas eve we visited the Austral, where I had an aged Coopers Sparkling Ale on tap, which was very nice, and the Exeter, where I had a stout on tap, again very nice. I also had a sip of the missus' Coopers Lager on tap, which was very, very nice.

I've bored you enough.

Cherio.

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Tipsy » Thursday Dec 28, 2006 8:34 pm

Oliver wrote: two litres of Farmers Union Iced Coffee

Was the milk to line the stomach?
Tipsy

Postby Pale_Ale » Thursday Dec 28, 2006 9:37 pm

Nothing like FU to line the gut, and to wake up in the morning!
Coopers.
Pale_Ale

Postby Oliver » Friday Dec 29, 2006 9:06 am

I love FUIC. They've got a new "strong" version out, too. Pretty nice for a change, but I reckon I'll always go back to the original.

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby goatsby » Saturday Dec 30, 2006 12:53 pm

Well I am palnning to get to Adelaide in Feb by the Overland, I am using a Fullers 1986 Street directory as a reference, IT IS USELESS, not one pub marked on it!! A person would starve and die of thirst if they where dumped in Adelaide and had to rely on this as a reference.

Anyway I intend to do the North Adelaide round (13 pubs heritage listed apparently) The City,ie Botanical, Critereon etc etc and might shoot out to Port Adelaide on the train and have a look at the Port Dock and other pubs( what are the services like at night by train, I imagine with Port Adelaide supporters onboard it would be Adelaides equivelent to the Broadmeadows line). Also I have to find out about the Coopers brewery tour as well.

I like to see the Queens Head but it has probably lost its old worlde charm by now( Ie they have taken down the Benson and Hedges panoramic photo of the 75/76 Australian Test Team against the West Indies ) I have also found this as a reference
http://www.cooperspubs.com/pubs_adelaide.htm

They even serve Coopers at the Adelaide Zoo!!
goatsby

Postby DarkFaerytale » Saturday Dec 30, 2006 6:12 pm

they seem to have coopers on tap everywhere in adelaide, was a great fan, even the backwards country places had it, to bad about the vb and draught we have to put up with in melb, anyway what i was going to say is goatsby, if you get a chance try and get down to goolwa and visit the steam exchange, it's a pretty great brew pub and you drink amongst the brewery and bottling machines
DarkFaerytale

Postby NTRabbit » Sunday Dec 31, 2006 1:19 pm

I've always been fond of the German Club, and yes they even have some Coopers on tap there too :wink:
Het Witte Konijn
NTRabbit

Postby Pale_Ale » Friday Jan 05, 2007 6:00 pm

Yes, virtually every pub in Adelaide has CPA on tap, many also have Sparkling and Dark. The only ones I can think that don't are some of the sproting clubs, including the Adelaide oval who are sponsored by Lion Nathan.

I just came back from QLD and while I knew there wasn't going to be much there, I was surprised with the lack of Coopers on tap!

And people actually drink XXXX Gold. What the hell? It's a mid!

Enough ranting anyhow, Goatsby there are quite a few good places in Adelaide City as well like the Austral and Coopers Alehouse.
Coopers.
Pale_Ale

Postby drsmurto » Monday Jan 08, 2007 3:08 pm

Love the Welly, old uni hang out as well as the British (cook your own steaks), the kentish arms for a cold beer and watching the cricket.

As for the german club, lost count how many times we ended up there after starting off at the unibar. Happy hour at the german club - pale in steins! gotta love that!
drsmurto

Postby Pale_Ale » Monday Jan 08, 2007 3:21 pm

Hey drsmurto when's the happy hour and how many mls is the stein? And how much?
Coopers.
Pale_Ale

Postby drsmurto » Monday Jan 08, 2007 3:33 pm

Used to start at 5 back when i was hanging out there (4years ago) and the stein is the same as they use for the Schutzenfest which is at least an imperial pint.

My HB drinking vessel is a Schutzenfest mug from the last year they were glass!

No idea of what current price is, it used to be $3.

Cheers DrSmurto
drsmurto

Postby Pale_Ale » Tuesday Jan 09, 2007 10:12 am

Does anyone know where in Adelaide they do the huge glasses of Hoegaarden like they do in some other states? Not an imperial pint, bigger than that.
Coopers.
Pale_Ale

Postby drsmurto » Tuesday Jan 09, 2007 10:14 am

Doesnt the Belgian Beer Cafe do these? They look like you are holding a vase and trust me, you cant steal these. I have tried on several occasions and they dont fit in pockets or in any other places i tried to shove them.....
drsmurto

Postby DarkFaerytale » Tuesday Jan 09, 2007 10:31 am

Drsmurto: you need a lady friend with a large empty hand bag! :)

-Phill
DarkFaerytale

Postby drsmurto » Tuesday Jan 09, 2007 10:41 am

I believe the phrase 'large empty handbag' is an oxymoron.....
drsmurto

Postby DarkFaerytale » Tuesday Jan 09, 2007 12:22 pm

drsmurto wrote:I believe the phrase 'large empty handbag' is an oxymoron.....

didn't think of that
DarkFaerytale

Postby Ash » Tuesday Jan 09, 2007 1:37 pm

handbags have tardis effect though so as long as it would fit in it empty (which is only a theoretical phenomenon) then it'll fit :wink:
Ash

Next

Return to Pubs and bars