The Gem - Wellington St Collingwood

Been to a good pub, or bad, lately? Found a bar with a great selection of beer? Looking for a new local or somewhere to visit on holidays?

The Gem - Wellington St Collingwood

Postby SpillsMostOfIt » Friday Jan 19, 2007 10:14 pm

Previously known as the Curry Family Hotel and (then) managed by people for whom I did not care at all, The Gem is a small pub that is close by for me, being on the corner of Wellington and Hotham Streets in Collingwood.

It has a decor that is kind of outback NZ 50's heritage schitzo, but it is very comfortable.

You can buy Coopers on tap and in the bottle, along with one or two varieties of Mountain Goat from a keg. The proprietors clearly understand that not everyone likes the CUB product.

They (along with a bus-load of others) advertise that their Carlton Draught is Brewery Fresh. I am sure this is analogous to something being 'fresh frozen'.

I've eaten there a couple of times since the new guys arrived and had a few glasses. I recommend it.

There is a good selection of live music that flows through the place, including Spencer P Jones, who for a while if not now, has a regular Sunday night gig.

Do yourself a favour and give it a try. Or stay at home and have a home brew. Or send me a homebrew and I will tell you if I like or not.
No Mash Tun. No Chill.

No confirmed fatalities.
SpillsMostOfIt

Return to Pubs and bars