Micro-brewery in Woolloongabba, Brisvegas

Been to a good pub, or bad, lately? Found a bar with a great selection of beer? Looking for a new local or somewhere to visit on holidays?

Micro-brewery in Woolloongabba, Brisvegas

Postby MagooMan » Sunday Jan 21, 2007 11:16 am

Has any noticed/ been to the microbrewery just down from the Aussie Nash hotel ? Have walked past there a few times but am just wondering what its like...
Deutsches Reinheitsgebot: Deutsches Bier ist von Wasser, Hefe, Hepfen und Malz gemacht. Wenn nicht, DASS IST GAR KEIN BIER!!! Ich liebe Kuupers Koelsch und Frueh Koelsch.
MagooMan

Postby WSC » Monday Jan 22, 2007 10:03 pm

Haven't heard about it?

Do you have a name?
WSC

Postby stevem » Monday Jan 22, 2007 10:16 pm

stevem

Postby MagooMan » Sunday Jan 28, 2007 1:54 am

Yes thanks mate...
f--- what a rip off
Deutsches Reinheitsgebot: Deutsches Bier ist von Wasser, Hefe, Hepfen und Malz gemacht. Wenn nicht, DASS IST GAR KEIN BIER!!! Ich liebe Kuupers Koelsch und Frueh Koelsch.
MagooMan

Postby WSC » Sunday Jan 28, 2007 10:39 pm

This is your classic brew on premise- extract brewing. Micro Brewery is a bit of a stretch.

These places got me into home brewing so I have them to thank and my HB is half the price, tastes as good if not better, I don't have to brew 150 stubbies (or find 3 blokes to go in with me) and I don't need to store all the beers in the fridge.

If yout thinking about going here save the money from the first three batches buy a HB kit, get a temp controller for your fridge, as about the only benefit they have over our beers is that they ferment in a cool room set at about 18 degrees and they filter your beer.
WSC

Postby pacman » Sunday Mar 04, 2007 10:49 pm

Similar to Maccas U Brew 4 U in Toowoomba.

Reputedly costs $500,000 to set up, with 6 kettles linked to a very efficient wort cooler, an 18degC fermentation room, an 1degC conditioning room, a three stage filtration system (final stage 1 micron), a CO2 kegging/bottling system, etc etc.

Customers have a choice of close to 200 recipes covering just about every style of beer. Takes a max of 2 hours to put down your 50 litre brew & pay your money. Three to five weeks later you return & spend another hour or two bottling (1/2 hour if kegging), & take home the product.

Here in regional Toowoomba, the proprietor lets you store what you don't need/want to take home, at no charge. Collect it when you wish. Result is great tasting (depending on the recipe you select) beer, at about half the cost of comparable commercial brews that rarely taste great.

Not a rip off at all. But this is not for HB purists, so if you are one (an admirable past-time), don't go. But otherwise, great for those who have not become addicted to HB'ing. And apparently some who try the U Brew 4 U concept subsequently become members of the HB scene. So, WIN WIN!

Sure, it is more expensive than HB. But also cheaper than commercial product.

I do both HB & U Brew 4 U. Lack sufficient space or time to produce all my requirements a la HB. So U Brew 4 U is great. Supplement my HBs with equally good product (sometimes better), much cheaper than costly and inferior commercial product.

One question that I have remains unanswered. Operators recommend that the product be stored at 1degC until consumption. Can anyone explain why?
Cheers,

Pacman
pacman

Postby rwh » Monday Mar 05, 2007 11:35 am

pacman wrote:Can anyone explain why?

Constant temps are better. And at 1°C, you are effectively performing a cold-conditioning step, which helps protein and other stuff drop out of solution, leaving you with cleaner-tasting beer.
w00t!
rwh

Re: Micro-brewery in Woolloongabba, Brisvegas

Postby george1959 » Friday Apr 24, 2009 12:53 pm

I don't know about all of you, but I have been drinking beer for 35 years, and I have NEVER had a home brew beer that tastes anywhere near as good as the stuff you get from the woolloongabba shop!!

In fact on TV a few months ago, they had these international beer judges, and they where blind tasting one of those brew 4 u shops beer, and they said that their beer was better than the original, and the home brew didn't even come close.
george1959

Postby Trough Lolly » Friday Apr 24, 2009 11:08 pm

george1959 wrote:I don't know about all of you, but I have been drinking beer for 35 years, and I have NEVER had a home brew beer that tastes anywhere near as good as the stuff you get from the woolloongabba shop!!

In fact on TV a few months ago, they had these international beer judges, and they where blind tasting one of those brew 4 u shops beer, and they said that their beer was better than the original, and the home brew didn't even come close.

.....hmmmm. Next time you're in Canberra, George, give me a hoy and I'll see if I can restore your faith in home brewed beer!! :wink:

I'm enjoying a keg of Koelsch and another keg of APA that will almost certainly be empty before tomorrow's BBQ concludes! We'll then move on to the German ambers...

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby Ross » Sunday Apr 26, 2009 9:56 pm

george1959 wrote:I don't know about all of you, but I have been drinking beer for 35 years, and I have NEVER had a home brew beer that tastes anywhere near as good as the stuff you get from the woolloongabba shop!!

Wouldn't have some affiliation by any chance there George :wink:

Cheers ross
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au
Hops, Grain, Yeast & Brewing Supplies
Ross

Postby Tipsy » Tuesday Apr 28, 2009 12:40 pm

Trough Lolly wrote:.....hmmmm. Next time you're in Canberra, George, give me a hoy and I'll see if I can restore your faith in home brewed beer!! :wink:

I reckon home brews crap too! Can I come around and have you restore my faith :wink:
Tipsy

Postby Trough Lolly » Tuesday Apr 28, 2009 6:08 pm

Tipsy wrote:
Trough Lolly wrote:.....hmmmm. Next time you're in Canberra, George, give me a hoy and I'll see if I can restore your faith in home brewed beer!! :wink:

I reckon home brews crap too! Can I come around and have you restore my faith :wink:

That's preaching to the converted, innit?! :D
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby tazman67 » Tuesday Apr 28, 2009 6:15 pm

The little man in my beer fridge, who turns the light on and off likes my HB.
Ill put my Imperial APA (100 IBU) in there soon...
That should kill the little sucker off..... :twisted:
Back on topic...Do these places actually have a following. The Brew By You down here closed down. Good trade over summer but nothing over the winter. Climate does help down here in Tas.
Cheers
I brew the beer I drink
tazman67

Postby Snowdog » Thursday Apr 01, 2010 11:23 am

I went to Brews Brothers once in early '08 when they had an open house. The beer wasn't too bad.

They just had some bands playing there for 4ZzZ a while ago.
Snowdog

Return to Pubs and bars