Would you have the shits if this was your pub....

Been to a good pub, or bad, lately? Found a bar with a great selection of beer? Looking for a new local or somewhere to visit on holidays?

Would you have the shits if this was your pub....

Postby Flippo » Friday Aug 03, 2007 11:05 am

Your pub is a brewpub and it gets a review like this...

http://www.smh.com.au/news/bar-reviews/redoak-boutique-beer-cafe/2005/10/20/1129401352052.html

Hardly a mention of the beer, more of a whinge that the "food took too long".....then a morsel by morsel description of what was on the freakin' plate and how much it cost. Get to the beers woman!!!! Eating's cheating...... far out man
Flippo

Postby DarkFaerytale » Friday Aug 03, 2007 11:19 am

The Redoak - where guys make passes at girls with pint glasses.

bit of a shit line, still 8 out of 10 i'd be pretty happy with
DarkFaerytale

Postby MOFO » Friday Aug 03, 2007 1:48 pm

Yeah... why send a girl on a mans job eh? haha. Joking - in fact the lady behind the bar there really knows her beers and was a great source of knowledge when I quizzed her on some of the brews. All the staff there were very knowledgeable, and excited by beer which made a real nice change.

I was there a couple of weeks back - it is just down the road from my work. The selection of beers is incredible - and a lot of the beers are very nice (I have made my way through about 10 of them in the times I have gone). I would say though - I think they tend to over-accentuate the beer characteristics a little for each style - i.e. the IPA there smelt like you just opened up a packet of hops, and it tasted like they had used 50g of Cascade per glass.

In saying that, the stouts and porters were very good and most enjoyable. From waht I understand, they do an Xmas lager in limited quantities and it is very very nice.

Overall - its a great place, I do like it - I actually wish they removed some tables and made it a bit more like a bar as opposed to a real sit down, restaurant feel in some parts. The beer is not cheap - it is on par with me going to the Belgian Beer Cafe - but the place packs out, so I guess they arent about to cut the costs.
MOFO

Postby gregb » Friday Aug 03, 2007 1:50 pm

MOFO wrote:... the IPA there smelt like you just opened up a packet of hops, and it tasted like they had used 50g of Cascade per glass.

Not that that's a bad thing, though. 8)

Cheers,
Greg
gregb

Postby Chris » Thursday Aug 16, 2007 12:10 pm

They are a ME brewpub aren't they?
Chris

whats wrong with the world is yuppies

Postby bangers » Wednesday Dec 12, 2007 7:17 pm

WE are not inerested in decor,just a stool near the bar a friendly bar person and if we're lucky a chat with the head brewer of said establishment! If the food served is great thats a billy bonus I'm a new kid on the block when it comes to home brew,but what started me off was the microbrew hotel! we go there to enjoy the beer the brewery has on offer,thats the point we want a quality beer,if we diddnt we would just go to the local and drink calton draught at silly prices!I dont know about you guys but i'll read about a local micro brew pub grab my friends go there see if I like the beers there.My next challenge is then to try and recreate that beer myself or ask you guys have you tried such n such beer and have you tried to brew a similar one.thats probably why I agree with what you are saying we dont need some goose who forgets who the botique brewer caters to people who know and understand a great beer and the work that go's into producing it!
bangers

Re:

Postby Madness » Tuesday Jan 15, 2008 10:25 pm

MOFO wrote:Overall - its a great place, I do like it - I actually wish they removed some tables and made it a bit more like a bar as opposed to a real sit down, restaurant feel in some parts. The beer is not cheap - it is on par with me going to the Belgian Beer Cafe - but the place packs out, so I guess they arent about to cut the costs.

Totally agree. Great beers, great food, great staff but it feels that it is torn between being a resturant and a bar... and I would prefer bar.
Madness

Return to Pubs and bars