The Brewhouse - Brisbane CBD

Been to a good pub, or bad, lately? Found a bar with a great selection of beer? Looking for a new local or somewhere to visit on holidays?

The Brewhouse - Brisbane CBD

Postby qikdatute » Sunday Aug 26, 2007 7:06 pm

I have been up to Brisbane a few times with work and have hit up the Brewhouse microbrewery to taste their beers... cant really say that I am an expert in tasting - have only been on here a couple months and still learning about all things brewing, but the beers I tried from this this place are in my opinion very very average.... they all seem to have a very burnt tart flavour, and the variety of beers don't seem to have a whole lot of difference in taste.

Has anyone else tried this place out and what are your thoughts???
qikdatute

Re: The Brewhouse - Brisbane CBD

Postby Kevnlis » Sunday Aug 26, 2007 7:29 pm

:shock:
Last edited by Kevnlis on Thursday Apr 10, 2008 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby lethaldog » Sunday Aug 26, 2007 8:16 pm

:roll:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby Will » Tuesday Oct 16, 2007 11:49 am

I frequent the Brewhouse a lot as it's one of my favourite pubs in Brisbane. Although, I must admit that they have a fair few brews that aren't particularly special.

Depending upon your tastes, I would suggest the Bock, the Midnight Extra Stout, the Up Yer Kilt Smoked Ale or the Crown Jewels (if you're after a mid).

In my experience there, some batches end up better than others. Recently it's been pretty good and I haven't noticed much of a burned taste but a lot of their lagers and pilsners taste pretty similar and not too impressive either.

Of course, besides their own brews, they also serve little creatures pale ale and an Irish red ale called red oak, both of which I'd highly recommend.
Will

Postby Will » Wednesday Jan 16, 2008 1:56 pm

Another note on the Brewhouse.

They run this thing called Brewniversity, which is divided into two sessions, Brewology 101 and Advanced Brewology.

I've been to the Brewology 101 session, which is a lunch and beer sampling session whilst the master brewer/owner of the place talks about his brewing processes and his plans for future beers. It's certainly worth the effort for anyone interested in beer brewing.

I've yet to attend the Advanced Brewology but it looks promising as the session is about pairing beers and foods so once I manage to get into one I'll report back here about it.

http://www.thebrewhouse.com.au/content. ... wniversity
Will

Postby earle » Thursday Jan 17, 2008 8:22 am

From the web site it sounds like you need a group booking. Suppose you need a bunch of mates?
earle

Postby WSC » Friday Jan 18, 2008 12:14 pm

I'm going to this one on Feb 3rd.

http://www.goodbeers.com.au/about.html

Looks like it will be good.
WSC

Postby WSC » Friday Jan 18, 2008 12:22 pm

Whops on Feb 10th.
WSC

Postby Ross » Friday Jan 18, 2008 5:55 pm

WSC wrote:Whops on Feb 10th.

I'll see you there - I go to these every month - Top afternoon...

Cheers Ross
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au
Hops, Grain, Yeast & Brewing Supplies
Ross

Postby WSC » Monday Jan 21, 2008 9:13 am

Good one Ross. I'll be there by myself as the mates I had that were keen have backed out.

Have to catch up for a chat.

Are you going to the Master Class in March as well?
WSC

Postby Ross » Monday Jan 21, 2008 11:23 pm

WSC wrote:Good one Ross. I'll be there by myself as the mates I had that were keen have backed out.

Have to catch up for a chat.

Are you going to the Master Class in March as well?

sure will...

cheers Ross
Ross

Postby Snowdog » Thursday Feb 14, 2008 11:58 am

I just noticed the Brewhouse veranda sign after leaving the Pig & Whistle where I was drinking pints of Old Speckled Hen.
I'll be checking this place out when I'll be in town on Monday afternoon, for the Bock, the Midnight Extra Stout, the Up Yer Kilt Smoked Ale sound like they would be right up my alley.
Snowdog

Postby Will » Saturday Mar 08, 2008 1:50 am

The next brewology session is today at 1pm, it's been too long since I've sampled some of their brews.
Will

Postby Will » Sunday Mar 09, 2008 12:04 am

A mate and I made a booking for the March 8 open Brewology session and rocked about half an hour early or so to have a few games of pool. After a few minutes the guy in charge for the day came over and told us they didn't get the booking numbers to run the session since we had the only bookings and the needed a minimum of ten.

Obviously we were pretty pissed off as they could have at least contacted us beforehand. Anyway, they admitted it was their mistake and offered both of us a tasting rack of 6 beers each, no charge. It was a bit of a bugger to miss out on the Brewology but I can't complain about how they handled the situation.

This was also the first time I've tasted their more recent beer (unfortunately the name escapes me at the moment) but it was a very German sounding and from what I gathered, a weiss beer. I wasn't a fan of it at all and besides being overly bitter for my tastes, there was something in there I couldn't quite place, it was fruity but sickly at the same time. Anyone else had one of these beers?
Will

Postby Will » Thursday Apr 03, 2008 11:25 pm

Just thought I'd post this from an email the Brewhouse sent me. It seems they did pretty well at the Australian International Beer Awards:

As Brisbane’s Own Boutique Microbrewery, The Brewhouse has gained international notoriety, winning four silver and three bronze medals for our uniquely brewed beers at the Australian International Beer Awards (AIBA) judged on Thursday 17th March in Melbourne.

We received silver awards for our Star Lager beer in the 'Lager Draught – Australian Style Lager' category-the only beer to win an award in this specific category, which is a huge feat in itself.Taffy’s Bock, The Fourth Reich and Engine Pale Ale also wone silver in their respective categories.

We also walked away with three bronze for our 'Up Yer Kilt' Scottish Ale, Midnight Extra Stout and Sunshine Honey Wheat.

This year’s Australian International Beer Awards is the second largest beer competition in the world and received 1084 entries from 217 breweries from 42 countries. In particular, we competed against 575 competitors from across the globe in the Small Brewery category.
Will

Postby Snowdog » Friday Apr 04, 2008 12:58 pm

Yeah I got that email too. I replied congratulating them and asked when the Taffy Bock will actually be available at the brewhouse as every time I've been in its had a pot mug over the tap. This was the reply: ...
in regards to the Taffy's bock, we will be switching
between this beer and a hefeweizen (wheat beer) for the next few months,
and this is currently in the tanks being brewed. Taffy's bock will be
back, but not for a little while as it's a seasonal beer.
Snowdog

Postby Will » Sunday Apr 06, 2008 4:00 pm

Yeh, last time I was there I asked about the bock and they gave me a pot of the hefeweizen. Out of all the brews they have ever done it's the one I like the least. My mate couldn't even finish it and I was seriously considering doing the same.
Will

Postby Snowdog » Thursday Apr 10, 2008 10:52 am

I usually stick with the 'Up Your Kilt' or maybe the 4th Reich.

I guess they're having a beer tasting party on Sunday the 13th. You have to book it & pay thirty bucks to get in.
Of course, 1st Choice is having their 'Beerworld' tasting & sale on Saturday the 12th, and I just happen to be broke until Tuesday... figures. :x :cry:
Snowdog

Postby Will » Thursday Apr 10, 2008 10:16 pm

Yeh, normally I'd check out the beer tasting thing but exams on Monday and Tuesday hint that I should probably be studying on Sunday :(
Will

Postby Ross » Thursday Apr 10, 2008 11:19 pm

HTFU guys :)

I'll be there Sunday, these beer tastings are awesome value, as run at a loss.
Some fantastic beers this month....Be there or be square 8)

cheers Ross
Ross

Next

Return to Pubs and bars