The Brewhouse - Brisbane CBD

Been to a good pub, or bad, lately? Found a bar with a great selection of beer? Looking for a new local or somewhere to visit on holidays?

Re: The Brewhouse - Brisbane CBD

Postby earle » Friday Apr 11, 2008 8:16 am

Been jealously watching the thread on these beer tastings on the AHB forum. Hopefully one will coincide when I need to be in Brissy in a month or 2.
earle

Postby Snowdog » Wednesday May 07, 2008 10:25 am

I believe AHB lists May 18? If so, I hope to be there as I fly out to Melbourne the next day.
Finally, the timing is working out!
Snowdog

Postby kiwijimbob » Tuesday Jun 17, 2008 12:49 pm

Hi guys,

I just read about the 'Brewology 101' in today's Courier Mail. It says that they are holding the brewology event next tuesday but, having just called to book in for next week, it is actually on tonight.

it costs $20 and kicks off at 5pm. Looks like it could be a pretty good event.

Shame though - I had called around to organise a few guys to go next week and no one can go tonight. They said if there's enough interest then they'll put on one next week as well.

Anyways - thought someone might be interested.

J
kiwijimbob

Postby kiwijimbob » Tuesday Jun 17, 2008 12:51 pm

oh - and by the way...

if they decide not to put on another brewology event next Tuesday I will be trying to organise a group to get one happening. I have about 4 or 5 people keen so if anyone here is interested then send me a message.

Cheers

Jimmy
kiwijimbob

Postby Will » Sunday Jul 13, 2008 5:59 pm

For those of you that are a fan of the Taffy's Bock that was on tap during the summer, it will be returning in spring this year. The Bock picked up a silver at the AIBA 2008 and I'd say it's one of their best brews.
Will

Postby Snowdog » Sunday Jul 27, 2008 3:39 pm

Tops! Can't say I care for their Hefe so I'll be glad when Taffy's returns.
Until then, I'll enjoy the Engine and Up Your Kilt, of which the Engine seems to have taken over my desires of late.

I have to question some of the staff's ability to make a sale there though. As I was paying for my pint, a guy comes up and orders a Starlager for his lady, and is undecided as to what he wants. He asks the bargirl what else is good, and she replies "I don't know." He rolls his eyes and was about to cancel the sale and go when I suggested he try the Engine, which he did. Some of those cute girls there should be able to do more than tap beer, clean tables, and look pretty.
Snowdog

Postby Will » Monday Jul 28, 2008 9:44 am

Indeed. I've noticed an increase in pretty faces but not much else. You'd think they would educate their staff at least a little about the brews.

A mate of my brother's got a job in the Brewhouse after spending about 10 hours in there enjoying the brews. Being the last ones in there, the manager asked since they all enjoyed the brews so much whether any of them would like a job. Lucky bastard.
Will

Postby Snowdog » Tuesday Aug 19, 2008 1:50 pm

Will wrote:Indeed. I've noticed an increase in pretty faces but not much else. You'd think they would educate their staff at least a little about the brews.

A mate of my brother's got a job in the Brewhouse after spending about 10 hours in there enjoying the brews. Being the last ones in there, the manager asked since they all enjoyed the brews so much whether any of them would like a job. Lucky bastard.

Hmm... I wonder if I tell my wife that I need to hang around the Brewhouse for 10 hours to try and get a job if it will fly.... 8)

They had Mount Tamborine Bitter today (Aug 19) on that rotating guest tap!
The rest of the tap brews are as of August 19th are:
  • Little Creatures Pale
  • Toohey's New
  • Toohey's ED
  • XXXX Gold
  • James Squire Golden
  • Mount Tamborine Bitter
  • Engine Pale
  • Dogs Bollocks English Bitter
  • Up Your Kilt Scottish Ale
  • 4th Reich Schwarzbier
  • Sunshine Honey-Wheat
  • The Taffinator Dopplebock (7.2% ABV)
  • Hefeweizen
  • Midnight Stout
  • Pipsqueak cider
  • Hahn's Super Dry

They would only serve the dopplebock in pots, which at $5 made it a bit steep. It was good, but not good enough to warrant another one in my opinion.
Snowdog

Postby Will » Thursday Sep 25, 2008 12:47 pm

Here I was thinking the pub life in Brisbane was getting better with the Vic burning down but tragedy has struck Brissie as the Brewhouse announced its closure:

Dear Brewhouse Fans,

It is with much sadness that we write to you today to tell you that yesterday morning we closed the doors on The Brewhouse, which marks the end of our tenancy here in Albert Street. In short, our Landlord wanted his building back so that he could renovate and develop it and turn it into offices; he bought back our lease as of Tuesday afternoon. We’ll pack up over the next week and be out by 30/9/08.

We’re hopeful that we’ll be able to relocate the business elsewhere and recommence trading in the not too distant future. We plan to continue brewing and bottling our beers and hopefully we’ll find a market for them around Brisbane.

Thanks to those of you who have been patrons of our venue over the past 3.5 years. It has been a real joyride; thanks for the memories.

This is just bloody awful. :cry:
Will

Postby WSC » Thursday Oct 02, 2008 5:38 pm

They can relocate to my shed :D!!!!!
WSC

Re: The Brewhouse - Brisbane CLOSED!

Postby Snowdog » Wednesday Oct 08, 2008 10:36 am

Yeah, this really sux. I became quite at home at the barrel overlooking the stairs! :|
I was heading there that Wednesday afternoon and had a bad feeling when I was greeted with closed doors and a computer-printed paper sign on the door saying they were "closed for renovation". I guess the owner wants to "modify" the old building enough to keep it from being listed as a heritage site, then demo it and build a highrise. With the ecconomic situation as it is, its a bad time to be doing such things me thinks, and it would have been better to weather it by collectiing lease from the current tenent. But oh well.... wish they'd relocate to the Mt Gravatt Hotel so there would be something better than XXXX Bitter to drink within walking distance to home.
Snowdog

Postby Will » Thursday Oct 09, 2008 11:26 am

I'd say they'll have a hard time finding a new location anywhere in the city so I'm hoping that if they can get setup again it will be close by. A pub on the corner of the street would go down nicely instead of the 10th bloody block of flats...
Will

Postby Snowdog » Monday Jan 26, 2009 8:55 pm

Yeah I hear that. Would beat my local pokie piss-beer farm as well.
Snowdog

Postby Will » Thursday Mar 12, 2009 11:39 pm

For anyone interested, there is a Facebook group dedicated to the return of the Brewhouse:

http://www.new.facebook.com/home.php#/g ... 8431546037
Will

Postby Snowdog » Monday Aug 03, 2009 9:12 am

Well July came & went & no word on a new brewpub.
It was good tasting the Brisbane Brewing's Dopplebock last Friday evening at the Grand Central Platform! :D
Snowdog

Postby Ross » Saturday Aug 08, 2009 8:57 pm

It is returning - probably opening Oct/Nov - & in the city :D

cheers Rosws
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au
Hops, Grain, Yeast & Brewing Supplies
Ross

Postby Will » Sunday Aug 09, 2009 11:27 pm

That may be the best news of 2009.
Will

Postby Snowdog » Monday Nov 09, 2009 9:24 am

Ross wrote:It is returning - probably opening Oct/Nov - & in the city :D

Woo-effen-HOO! :mrgreen:

Edit: Word from Brisbane Brewing Co (maybe that was you Ross?) at the Good Food & Wine show is a new pub may be opened in February or thereabouts. Said their brews should be available in either Drinx or Vintage Cellars bottlo's (can't remember who said what from where now) in the coming weeks.

Missed them brews! All the Brewhouse regulars were there... Up Your Kilt... Starlager... Bollocks... & Midnight Stout was on the sampler tap as well as their new BPA, which was tops! Old Engine Pale was re-badged as Texas Ranger (I think). Tasting good, and am looking forward to getting some bottles!
Snowdog

Postby WSC » Thursday Feb 11, 2010 1:38 pm

Any more updates...it's feb
WSC

Postby Will » Tuesday Mar 02, 2010 5:20 pm

I thought I'd bump this a bit, anyone heard any recent news?

I was really hoping to see a Brewhouse rebirth during Feb but that's gone and past now.

There is a FB page dedicated to bringing back the Brewhouse but that's lacking in news as well:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/grou ... 8431546037
Will

PreviousNext

Return to Pubs and bars