Beer in NZ

Been to a good pub, or bad, lately? Found a bar with a great selection of beer? Looking for a new local or somewhere to visit on holidays?

Beer in NZ

Postby earle » Monday Mar 03, 2008 8:39 am

gregb wrote:This started in the Beer in Japanthread

Cheers,
Greg

As a hobby/interest (whatever you want to call it) an appreciation (love of) beer combines fantastically with travel. We're thinking of skiing in NZ again down the track and I'm looking forward to getting back there and sampling more of the local beers nearly as much as I'm looking forward to the travel and skiing. Its been about 4 years since we last visited and while I enjoyed beer I was not into it nearly as much as I am now. Fortunately I didn't miss out completely last time, managing to sample a variety of Speights including Old Dark and Distinction Ale (does the gold medal ale taste that you can get here in OZ taste grassy to anyone else?), the styles available from the Wanaka brewery, and a couple of brews from the West Coast sold under the brandname Good Bastard. Then there's the food when you travel. I've just realised I live in a cultural, beer and culinary desert. Thank God for home brew.
earle

Re: Beer in Japan

Postby MOFO » Thursday Mar 06, 2008 7:28 pm

Earle,

Being a kiwi - and going back 1-2 times a year, I can say that there are lots of good places to check out for beers. Speights have set up lots of Speights Ale Houses now... which have the whole range on tap... the Gold Medal Ale, or Speights as it is referred to is stuff made for uni students, and not really seen as a serious beer. It tastes pretty much like Canterbury Draught, Export Gold, tui etc etc... it is just a kiwi version of Tooheys New/Carlton - they all do taste a little grassy/funky I think.
I seriously suggest you check out Emersons..they are fantastic, especially the porters, the APA, the IPA and the Oatmeal Stout.. heck, try the lot :lol:

I would love to try the Wanaka Beerworks... I havent got a chance yet. Man I love Wanaka...
MOFO

Postby rwh » Friday Mar 07, 2008 10:33 am

MOFO wrote:I seriously suggest you check out Emersons..they are fantastic, especially the porters, the APA, the IPA and the Oatmeal Stout.. heck, try the lot :lol:

Where are they?
MOFO wrote:I would love to try the Wanaka Beerworks... I havent got a chance yet. Man I love Wanaka...

Nooooooooooooooooooo! Was there a few months ago, how did I not know about the beer works!? :cry:
w00t!
rwh

Postby earle » Friday Mar 07, 2008 1:02 pm

Speights have set up lots of Speights Ale Houses now... which have the whole range on tap.

Yep, been to the alehouse in Queenstown. Good food too.

I would love to try the Wanaka Beerworks... I havent got a chance yet. Man I love Wanaka..

The Beerworks itself is a bit out of town, near the airport I think. Pretty small operation and wasn't open when I went there. They sell mixed six packs in the supermarkets of their three main beers - Brewski, Cardrona Gold and Tall Black. http://www.wanakabeerworks.co.nz/beers.html
earle

Postby earle » Friday Mar 07, 2008 1:37 pm

Just been reading about Emersons here

http://www.microbrewing.com.au/default. ... etype=news

Bourbon Porter sounds interesting, but next time I'm in NZ I'm going to take you advice and try them all.
earle

Re: Beer in NZ

Postby gregb » Friday Mar 07, 2008 5:10 pm

Being yet to meet a Kiwi that didn't like a drink, I've spun this off from Beer in Japan thread.

Cheers,
Greg
gregb

Return to Pubs and bars