Beer in Melbourne

Been to a good pub, or bad, lately? Found a bar with a great selection of beer? Looking for a new local or somewhere to visit on holidays?

Beer in Melbourne

Postby earle » Friday Apr 11, 2008 1:30 pm

Will be in Melbourne in a couple of weeks time and am hoping to visit a beer establishment (or two). Time will be limited so I'm after some ideas on what people reckon are the best places to try and why. Last time we were down we were at QV square but being a Sunday, Three Degrees was closed so we ended up going to James Squires at the Portland instead. Am staying down at Point Cook and will probably get into the CBD so places right in or close to the city are preferred as we will probably be using public transport (all the better for beer drinking). Suggestions appreciated.
earle

Re: Beer in Melbourne

Postby rwh » Friday Apr 11, 2008 2:41 pm

- James Squire Docklands. Much better than the city one.
- Beer Deluxe, Fed Square. Serviceable food with a hoo-mongous beer list
- Mountain Goat brewery, Cnr North & Clark Streets, Richmond. open every Fri eve from 5pm - midnight.
- Emerald Hill brewery, South Melbourne, open fridays too I think.
w00t!
rwh

Postby timmy » Friday Apr 11, 2008 10:49 pm

I'd add to that Mrs Parma's in Little Bourke St. Loads of Vic micro's represented there. There's also Transport in Fed Square that have a load of beers on tap.

Cheers,

Tim
timmy

Postby earle » Monday Apr 14, 2008 1:31 pm

Cheers for the suggestions. Looking forward to having an actual choice of good beers to try.
earle

Postby earle » Wednesday Apr 16, 2008 8:07 am

OK, I have been checking out some of these places on the web and the selection looks fantastic but the prices look a bit limiting. I still plan to visit a couple but would like to supplement this with some take homes. Any suggestions on bottle shops in the city with a good selection of beers?
earle

Postby chadjaja » Wednesday Apr 16, 2008 8:30 am

Without doubt just jump on the 112 tram on Collins st towards StKilda beach. It will have you at the door of Cloudwine cellars on Clarendon st in 10 mins and they have a HUGE range of beers both local and import. Hard to beat their range anyware imo. Swords at the Vic market if its open is your best bet in the CBD as far as bottleshop range.

Or take a cab out to 3Ravens brewery on a Friday as they are open from 1pm till 7pm for sales and tastings etc. If you go to Cloudwine Emerald hill brewery is opeon on a Friday night too and its a 3 min walk from the bottleshop.

Hope this helps mate.
chadjaja

Postby earle » Wednesday Apr 16, 2008 1:04 pm

Cheers for that. I've been thinking about 3 ravens and emerald hill (public transport is pretty handy) but the Friday I will be down is Anzac day and I'm not sure they'll be open. Might have to give them a call.
earle

Postby earle » Wednesday Apr 16, 2008 1:48 pm

Just checked out cloudwine on the web. Looks like friggin beer heaven. The wife wants to go to spotlight which I think is nearby so I might oblige her with a trip in that direction, totally for her benefit or course. :twisted: :D
earle

Postby MOFO » Wednesday Apr 16, 2008 3:10 pm

Thanks for this Chadjaja- I never knew of this either. I thought Acland Cellars was where it was at... this place looks awesome for beers and wine. Definitely heading this way myself when I am next in Melbourne (this weekend actually - wicked).
MOFO

Postby chadjaja » Wednesday Apr 16, 2008 3:58 pm

Cheaper than Acland st as well.
chadjaja

Postby earle » Tuesday Apr 29, 2008 1:24 pm

Back from Melbourne and managed to sample a number of beers

On tap at Mama Parmas
Storm Cloudy Ale - american style pale ale with amarillo
Beechworth Celtic Red Ale - mmmm malty - definately recommended
Those parmas are huge

Take-homes from Mama Parmas
Hargreaves Hill Porter
Jamieson Raspberry Ale
Jamieson Beast IPA
Red Duck Pale Ale - mmmm
Red Hill Scoth Ale - beautiful
Beechworth Celtic Red Ale - one of my favourites of the week

By the bottle from Cloudwine (watch the best before dates)
Batemans XXXB
Black Sheep Emmerdale Ale
Belhaven Scottish Ale - still to try
Badgers Champion Golden Ale - still to try

From Grain & Grape
Timothy Taylor's Landlord Pale Ale - still to try - been looking at the recipe thread on this one
Also picked up Brewing Classic Styles by Jamil Zainasheff & John Palmer. Has 80 recipes, one for each BJCP style, for extract with specialty grain brews. Also has as AG option for each but probably more aimed to the extract brewer.

Other
La Trappe Blonde - trappist style beer made in Holland - not bad though
Knappstein Reserve - brought one home - waiting for it to get cold enough to try a Neslon Sauvin lager

Also went to Chef Hat at South Melbourne and picked up some Oxford and Nonic glasses. Nice.

All in all a good week beer wise. Much more availability than here at home but unfortunately due to luggage restrictions couldn't bring much home.
earle

Postby matr » Wednesday Jun 04, 2008 3:38 pm

I'll be in Melbourne in a few weeks for about 1 week. I'll be stayng at the Westin on Collin's St.

Is there anywhere really close by (walking distance) that is worth visiting? I'll only have time in the evening though.

Cheers, Mat.
matr

Postby chadjaja » Wednesday Jun 04, 2008 7:08 pm

Walk two blocks and you are at Transport where they have about 100 beers and beer deluxe with a huge beer list as well. Both are located in Fed Square. Or go to my old local and drink some traditional English/Irish stuff. One block away the Charles Dickens tavern underneath the Block arcade on Collins st.
chadjaja

Postby matr » Wednesday Jun 04, 2008 9:53 pm

Is "Transport" the name of the pub?

The company Diners Card is gonna get hurt.... :D
matr

Postby chadjaja » Wednesday Jun 04, 2008 10:39 pm

yup you can't miss it. Its on the swanston st side of Fed SQ on the corner near the bridge/riverbank opp the train station.
chadjaja

Postby matr » Wednesday Jun 04, 2008 11:02 pm

Thanks mate.. I'm there.. :D :D :D
matr

Return to Pubs and bars