Blue Sky Brewery - Cairns

Been to a good pub, or bad, lately? Found a bar with a great selection of beer? Looking for a new local or somewhere to visit on holidays?

Blue Sky Brewery - Cairns

Postby scooter75 » Friday Aug 22, 2008 10:08 am

Thought I'd post this to see if there's anyone else on here from Cairns, or anyone passing through, that has been to Blue Sky yet. Opened a couple of weeks ago, although official opening not until October 1. Went last Friday afetr work to sample some of the product. I was very excited and must say a bit dissappointed post tasting. Sampled a Woodies Ale (Pale Ale with a bit of smokyness through it, I think they are serving some out of an Oak barrel on the bar), the Stout, the Pilsner, the Blonde, and the NQ Lager. Now I didn't do a thorough job of recording taste and thoughts etc, but most of the beers tasted very similar to each other. Obvious hops and bitterness differences were only slight. Even the Woody Ale, to me, lacked any significant signature difference. In addition, the beers tasted "soapy". Not due to soap in glasses, hea dretentionwas good, more beer intself tased suddy or soapy. This was noticable throughout all and made them all taste the same! Seems like they haven't gone too far away from what most Aus lager drinkers would look for. (i.e not too much flavour and body). The fact they have a Cairns Gold (midstrength in style of XXX Gold) tells me they are trying to woo the locals by not being different. Maybe thats the strategy they need to use to get people through the door? Dunno. I prefer Boonies LCPA to be honest!

Anyway, I will be back, give it time to settle etc and try again. Wondering if anyone else has been and had similar, different perceptions.

Be keen to discuss.

Cheers
scooter75

Re: Blue Sky Brewery - Cairns

Postby Lance » Monday Sep 01, 2008 11:45 am

I to live in Cairns and went there last week and discovered that some of the beers were a bit watery. I did like the Woody and the Stout though, but the beer with the ginger infused was not to my liking. I do however like the idea of the tasting paddles. It is a good way to discover what beer you like before you buy a pint. I will go back but only to drink the heavy beer.
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
Lance

Return to Pubs and bars