Tell-tale signs it's a Woolies Pub

Been to a good pub, or bad, lately? Found a bar with a great selection of beer? Looking for a new local or somewhere to visit on holidays?

Tell-tale signs it's a Woolies Pub

Postby lob » Friday Nov 28, 2008 9:45 am

1. The menu prices start at $16.95 for a burger. (Tho they may reluctantly serve you stale chips for $6.50.)

2. Everything is renovated to look like the interior of a trendy Surrey Hills Unit

3. 'Local beers' only means VB and Tooheys. Everything else, if indeed they have anything like Coopers Pale on tap, is annoyingly, some absurd amount ABOVE $5 a schooner: $5.60, $5.20, $5.35, etc etc

4. If you can't find anything drinkable on tap, you can usually find it in a bottle for $7.50 or more. If it's Stella you can guarantee it'll be brewed in Australia.

5. There's often a Dan Murphy's next door.

6. The staff look no different to the (young) staff you see in the supermarket.
Broome Pale Ale. WA's Finest Craft Beer.
lob

Re: Tell-tale signs it's a Woolies Pub

Postby warra48 » Friday Nov 28, 2008 5:09 pm

Can't remember the last time I was in a pub.

I mostly only ever have a drink away from home at my country club, as I play golf twice a week there. Plus the occasional meal out, but I reckon we eat better at home than most restaurant meals. Hard to beat home grown veges or salad and Webered steak, chops, ocean trout, prawns, scallops, racked lamb etc etc. And none of it is spoiled with the fashionable additions of the week, such as garlic aeiola, balsamic vinegar, or other assorted sauces etc etc

However, I do appreciate all you kind chaps who frequent the Woollies pubs, and buy supplies at Dan Murphy or BWS outlets. Our son works at Woollies in their head office, and he appreciates the patronage, as it pays for his very adequate salary and company vehicle.
warra48

Postby bolwell » Sunday Nov 30, 2008 7:54 am

" garlic aeiola" ??????. I suspect you mean aioli. Seeing as how aioli is actually garlic mayonaise the garlic in your description is not necessary. I mean to say you wouldn't ask for a schooner of Coopers, beer flavoured, would you ?. If the aioli has other additions they can be mentioned e.g. lime and chilli aioli but the garlic is taken as granted. As for aeiola, isn't that the brown bit around a sheila's nipple ?.
bolwell

Postby Biernut » Sunday Nov 30, 2008 9:08 am

I think you are getting confused with areole. geez what next :roll:
Biernut

Postby warra48 » Sunday Nov 30, 2008 2:10 pm

Who cares how you spell it?
And there are plenty of restauranteurs who happily add the garlic word, so as not to frighten the ignorant amongst the diners.

And I haven't even had a beer so far today, shame, shame, shame, I should be booted off this forum.
warra48

Postby lob » Tuesday Dec 30, 2008 2:59 pm

What I find funny is that people out West think eating out is more expensive closer to the City. I'm going to a pub in Leichhardt today where the beer is $3 a schooner between 5 and 7. James Squire is normally on tap for $4. And meals are $10 for Thai. Contrast that with The Winston (at Winston Hills), where the price of anything not Tooheys or VB is OVER $5, and the meals are $22 for a small pizza [not really shareable], and upwards for anything else.

Look, let me explain it another way:

You can drink here [see link below] and pay $3 between 5 and 7pm, and $4 a schooner for James Squire (both amber and golden) any other time. And, get good meals for $10
http://www.universalehotel.com.au/home/default.htm

OR, you can eat here and pay OVER $5 a schooner for anything not VB or Tooheys and around $20 a meal.
http://www.thewinston.com.au/

And, The Winston WON Hotel of They Year 2008 at some (stupid) Hotel Industry Awards!

These (expensive) Pubs owned by large corporation like Woollies and Coles are spreading like a cancer everywhere. They're basically run by Accountants, not people with an interest in providing good quality product at a reasonable price. This is our pub culture that is slowly but surely being eroded by these greedy large corporations.

People should vote with their feet, but like the morons you see in line on Tuesdays getting their discounted petrol at Wollie and Cole service stations...

...enough of my rant.
lob

Postby Trough Lolly » Wednesday Dec 31, 2008 4:22 pm

That wasn't a rant , lob - a good post with some handy data to bear in mind the next time I visit....And yes, I've walked past many a trendy boozer to find a corner pub with excellent counter meals and a great range of beer at reasonable prices. It's a pity that there are less of them as time goes by.

Perhaps we should all chip in some money, set up an investment fund and start buying hotels and putting real beer on tap and meals that never exceed $15? I reckon we'd make a motza! And I haven't had a beer yet today, either!! :lol: We need a lawyer to sort out the licensing, some willing volunteers to start up a brewing team in each capital city and acquire at least one brewpub in each city to make the beer. Investors would have discounted prices and the opportunity to provide recipe input to the beers on tap. NO MEGA COMMERCIAL BEERS (read Fosters, VB, XXXX etc) allowed. Little Creatures, Mountain Goat, Squires etc would be exempted but the majority of beers on tap at any time would be real ales and lagers, made locally.

Hands up all you cooks / chefs - how about a menu???

Hmmmm, how does The Australian Real Hotel Investment Fund sound? :lol:

Cheers and all the best in 2009...
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby lob » Thursday Jan 29, 2009 2:44 pm

I reckon the best way to beat these woolie pub w**kers is to build a data base of Aussie pubs detailing beer and food prices, with regular updates. The data base would need to differentiate between Crap (VB and Tooheys) and Good (Little Creatures, James Squire) beer prices. One of the "tricks" Woolie owned pubs have is provide cheapish prices for so-called "local" beers [vb and tooheys - to keep the yobbos happy] and much more $$$$$$ for Premium (Coopers???) and [hehe] "IMPORTED" beers such as Stella.

It wouldn't be that hard. I'm moving to Canberra in February. More than happy to visit EVERY Canberra Pub and Bar. (Can't be bothered with the Clubs though, because I find them boring and depressing.) Obviously Sydney and Melbourne would need a few "volunteers". All the volunteers would need to do is ask for the prices of every beer on tap [for some odd reason they only give you a wine list], and note them down in a note pad. Then write down their prices for basic pub fare: Cost of a burger, cost of bowl of fries/wedges, availability of healthier alternative such as Thai and price. Once the data base [Excel spread sheet] is (reasonable) complete you can then sort them by (i) beer prices - for quality beer [who gives a sh** about vb and tooheys], (ii) pub fare prices, and (iii) availability of healthier food options such as Thai. Would be pretty easy, I imagine, to hook such a database up with Google Maps. (With the Pubs ranked by 1 (best) to 678 etc (worst.) I Bet you, at the end of such an exercise, the worst (most expensive with over priced food) would be these wanky Woolie owned pubs.

The information could then be available via website, AND downloaded to PC or (smart) mobile phone. Imagine being on holidays in Perth and just being able to open a database on your mobile phone and check best pubs via price for (quality) beer, or food. I mean, in the year 2009, why is it that we have to wander into a pub we've never been to and order a couple of beers with no idea whatsoever what they may charge us. It's just a lottery. There are so many crap pubs with over-priced beer and food in Australia. I'm f**king sick of it. And, I'm so fu**ing sick to death of being served FLAT beer. These people are MORONS, they run a pub and they don't know how to carbonate the keg beer properly. Just like the morons who run cafe's who serve milky crap pretending to be coffee. Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh,

I'm so fired up about this : )

Not really. I iknow we don't live in a perfect world.
lob

Postby Clean Brewer » Saturday Jan 31, 2009 8:48 pm

Trough Lolly wrote:That wasn't a rant , lob - a good post with some handy data to bear in mind the next time I visit....And yes, I've walked past many a trendy boozer to find a corner pub with excellent counter meals and a great range of beer at reasonable prices. It's a pity that there are less of them as time goes by.

Perhaps we should all chip in some money, set up an investment fund and start buying hotels and putting real beer on tap and meals that never exceed $15? I reckon we'd make a motza! And I haven't had a beer yet today, either!! :lol: We need a lawyer to sort out the licensing, some willing volunteers to start up a brewing team in each capital city and acquire at least one brewpub in each city to make the beer. Investors would have discounted prices and the opportunity to provide recipe input to the beers on tap. NO MEGA COMMERCIAL BEERS (read Fosters, VB, XXXX etc) allowed. Little Creatures, Mountain Goat, Squires etc would be exempted but the majority of beers on tap at any time would be real ales and lagers, made locally.

Hands up all you cooks / chefs - how about a menu???

Hmmmm, how does The Australian Real Hotel Investment Fund sound? :lol:

Cheers and all the best in 2009...
TL

Ill do the menu, as long as I get to leave Hervey Bay, ill base myself in Brisbane and consult the Chefs in each Capital City.. :wink:
To be updated shortly....

HOMEBREW: IF I HAD TO EXPLAIN, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND
Clean Brewer

Postby lob » Sunday Feb 01, 2009 6:05 pm

I must stop ranting after drinking the Chimays...

:o
lob

Postby Trough Lolly » Wednesday Feb 04, 2009 1:35 pm

Clean Brewer wrote:Ill do the menu, as long as I get to leave Hervey Bay, ill base myself in Brisbane and consult the Chefs in each Capital City.. :wink:

Ok, we have a Director of Cuisine! Now we need nominations for Brewmasters in each capital city - I'll humbly nominate for Canberra!! :roll: :lol:

Lob - If you're moving to Canberra, two places you must visit before you die are The Wig and Pen in Civic and the Zierholtz Brewery in Fyshwick.

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby lob » Wednesday Feb 04, 2009 7:04 pm

Sorry 'bout the last rant. Just absolutely *hate* wollies and coles. (In case you hadn't noticed.) I note than you can buy grog at Aldi in Canberra : )

Wollie and Coles can shove their fuel discount dockets up their as...

Yeah, I'm moving (back) to Canberra on 21 February. (My wife and I lived there in 94 - 96. Finally had a gutsfull of Sydney and this state Labor Government.) Love Wig and Pen. Been to the Zierholtz Brewery; Thought it was okay, but like Wig and Pen much better. What is it with the Pint or half-pint option only? Also checked out a place in Bradden last Saturday called Debacle. A little pricey, but hell, they have an amazing range of beers on tap:

http://www.outincanberra.com.au/files/c ... 20menu.pdf
lob

Postby Trough Lolly » Wednesday Feb 04, 2009 7:37 pm

Yeah, the Wig is very nice - excellent hand crafted beers and the home of one of the best Russian Imperial Stouts on the planet!

If you're keen, join the Canberra Brewers club. The last few years, we've had a brewday at the Wig, where we get involved in brewing a batch of the best beer out of the ACT Comp - it's a great day, beers, snacks, running the Wig's micro brewery and all for about 10 bucks!!

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby Tipsy » Wednesday Feb 04, 2009 10:53 pm

Trough Lolly wrote: I'll humbly nominate for Canberra!! :roll: :lol:

Humble my arse :lol:, but I will still second the nomination
Tipsy

Postby Bizier » Wednesday Feb 04, 2009 11:10 pm

Trough Lolly wrote:Yeah, the Wig is very nice - excellent hand crafted beers and the home of one of the best Russian Imperial Stouts on the planet!

I will be in Canberra sometime soon for various reasons... if the Wig has RIS... I am there baby no matter what.
Bizier

Return to Pubs and bars