West/North Melbourne pubs

Been to a good pub, or bad, lately? Found a bar with a great selection of beer? Looking for a new local or somewhere to visit on holidays?

West/North Melbourne pubs

Postby Oliver » Sunday May 17, 2009 6:02 pm

Chaps,

Just thought I'd give a blatant plug for a couple of great pubs near my place of residence. Do yourself a favour and check them out if you're in the area or live close by.

First is the Royal Mail on the corner of Spencer and Stanley streets in West Melbourne. It's got Coopers Pale Ale and Mountain Goat on tap and does some great food at reasonable prices.

Monday's steak night and Wednesday is road kill night where meat on offer has included camel (tough), kangaroo (always superb), wallaby, possum (interesting, like a cross between rabbit and lamb), crocodile (chicken meets fish), venison (delicious), etc.

Plus it's still got the front bar with pool table and has retained the regulars who drank there before the restaurant added dishes other than simple pub fare.

Second is the Limerick Castle, on the corner of Errol and Arden streets in North Melbourne. This is a good, honest pub serving good food, including a variety of excellent parmas.

While they've only got the usual suspects on tap, they have Coopers and some other interesting brews in stubbies, including two of the magnificent Moo Brews from Tasmania.

And to top it all off they've got a TAB and are one of the few pubs to still have Fox sport, so it's a good place to watch the footy if, like me, you barrack for a non-Victorian team (Victorians call them "interstate" teams) whose games are rarely on free-to-air TV.

Oh, and a pub in the area to avoid is the Three Crowns on the corner of Victoria and Errol street in West Melbourne. It has Jim Beam barrels for tables, old saws on the walls and there's often a Harley-Davidson parked in the front bar. Need I say more?

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Re: West/North Melbourne pubs

Postby Oliver » Monday Nov 15, 2010 12:10 pm

Chaps,

An update just in case you're ever in the area ...

We've recently moved house and now have a pub (the Royal Standard in William Street, West Melbourne) about 50 metres down the road. Very handy. It's recently changed hands and the new publican is determined to make a go of it. He's made a good start, getting rid of all the posters and promotions off the windows and generally lifting the tone of the place.

The first time I was there a few weeks back I had had a few and was giving him some advice about what beers he should get. The next night we went back and lo and behold he'd been out and stocked up, including with Coopers Pale Ale and Budweiser Budvar (Budějovický Budvar). Very happy with that.

The City of Melbourne Bowling Club in Flagstaff Gardens is just across Dudley Street from our place. Great for a drink any time, especially at sunset. Beers are cheap, and even cheaper when you're a member :D

The Three Crowns in Victoria Street has also changed hands. We've had one drink there but apparently it, too, is on the up. No more Harley-Davidsons parked in the front bar, which I always think is a good thing in a pub.

And the Royal Park, in Queensberry Street, North Melbourne, has changed hands as well. I've said everything I need to and should in this thread http://www.homebrewandbeer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10247.

The Royal Mail is still our favourite local, even though there are closer pubs. How can you go past Coopers and Goat on tap, and great food?

The Limerick Castle, on the corner of Errol and Arden streets in North Melbourne is still a good, honest pub (it's changed hands in the past year or so) but they no longer have Foxtel.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Fifey » Monday Nov 22, 2010 10:02 pm

I had ordered a croc steak in Cairns, got two- probably a bit much for me. Got through the first one, couldn't finish the second. Bit too weird! The croc curry I had was much nicer though.

Now I'm going to Melbourne to see a concert for my birthday, going with 3 mates. While the other two are staying we are getting a hotel room but I thought I'd stay an extra night with my other mate. Any good establishments near or in town with half decent rooms above? Or at least a hotel nearby.
Fifey

Postby Oliver » Tuesday Nov 23, 2010 8:56 am

Hi Fifey,

Over my side of town there are heaps of backpackers joints. Not sure if that's what you're after.

But the Hotel Spencer is a good pub with accommodation (and on the next corner from the Royal Mail, referred to above). Spencer has some interesting beers on tap.

Arden Motor Inn in Arden St, North Melbourne, is still pretty close to the city and there are heaps of pubs around.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby chadjaja » Tuesday Nov 23, 2010 9:59 am

Had most of the roadkill at the Royal Mail and apart from the front bar its a decent pub.

I prefer the Leveson not far up the road though :D
chadjaja

Postby Fifey » Tuesday Nov 23, 2010 11:30 am

Thanks for that, should be handy.
Fifey

Postby Oliver » Tuesday Nov 23, 2010 4:21 pm

Hi chadjaja,

I'm usually at the Royal Mail once or twice a week, so I've probably seen you there but not known! How can you not like the old-school front bar at the Royal Mail :D

Don't like the Leveson much I must say. I find it expensive (food especially, for what it is) and don't like really like the atmosphere. Plus, I'm old :( Almost 38, you know.

But, each to their own.

You're in North Melbourne, I gather? See what you think of the Royal Standard in West Melbourne now that new owners have taken over.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby chadjaja » Tuesday Nov 23, 2010 5:50 pm

Well in my defence I usually go to the Leveson when the boss pays :P

I'm one of those cool hip cats that sets trends too :lol:

I'm in the north of town but further out but I'm more likely to be found at the Terminus in Clifton Hill where James pours me a Ravens as soon as I walk in the door or the Peacock on high st Northcote.

Better yet the beer garden 6ft away where I have 5 beers on tap and you can find a few local brewers on weekends under the umbrella with a sausage in bread in hand :mrgreen:

In town lately we have been going to the Imperial in town or the sherlock holmes for a good parma.......
chadjaja

Return to Pubs and bars