Glenferrie Hotel, Hawthorn Renovation

Been to a good pub, or bad, lately? Found a bar with a great selection of beer? Looking for a new local or somewhere to visit on holidays?

Glenferrie Hotel, Hawthorn Renovation

Postby newers » Monday Sep 28, 2009 12:36 pm

Just thought I'd let all you east Melbournians know the Glenferrie Hotel on Burwood Highway, Hawthorn has re-opened after a 9 month renovation. The whole place was gutted and re-done and I must say on initial impressions it was worth the effort, and money. A very nice classic new wooden bar centres the new layout with a relaxed lounge/bar area at the front and dedicated "bistro" out the back to replace the waste of space dance floor. A retractable roof over the entire rear bistro area will also be great on a fine summer's night.

It seems they gave in and put in one of those new TAB "walls" with the one electronic betting machine and a couple of TV's, not that I am personally complaining about that, but as it takes up minimal space I don't think it will be an issue for other patrons. Considering they got rid of the pitiful pokies they installed last year, the TAB should be a welcome compromise.

The head chef has continued on with a slightly modified menu and as always, provides a top notch meal.

To finish of, most importantly, the range of beer on tap has survived the renovation, with a notable inclusion of Coopers Pale Ale, but also notable exclusion of James Squire Pilsner:

Becks
Boags Classic Blonde
Boags Draught
Bulmers Cider
Carlton Draught
Coopers Pale Ale
Hahn Premium Light
Heineken
Hoegaarden
James Squire Amber Ale
James Squire Golden Ale
newers