Bacon and Cheese Damper

Using the amber fluid in cooking, and pairing beer with food.

Bacon and Cheese Damper

Postby earle » Friday May 06, 2011 9:29 am

Here's the recipe for Bacon and Cheese damper. I use a pack of those bacon bits for convenience.

A tip for checking whether damper, scones etc are cooked is to tap on them, if they sound hollow they're cooked.

A few tips if you decide to cook it in a camp oven.
- Use a trivet or cake rack in the bottom to save getting a burnt bottom :shock:
- Baking paper inside a shallow cake tin means an easy clean up and also makes it easy to put it into a hot camp oven and get it out, I use multigrips to grab the edge of the tin.
- When baking in a camp oven you need heat from below and above
- Preheat the camp oven and lid

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
earle

Re: Bacon and Cheese Damper

Postby Oliver » Friday May 06, 2011 2:01 pm

On My Kitchen Rules (I know, I know, but I'm forced to watch it because the missus loves it) the two young blokes made cheese and bacon damper and won the round!

Who would have thought :-)

Might have to give this a go.

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby earle » Friday May 06, 2011 3:00 pm

For completeness I'll repost the photos from the camping thread.

I usually cook on a fire but thats not allowed in national parks. The setup in the photo is classified as a fully contained cooking device using manufactured fuel so is allowed. Got the BBQ grill thingo for about $7 from the local cheap shop. I popped roughly 20-30 heat heads in a basket and chucked them on the butane stove to get them going. Once a few beads get that white ash covering they'll light the rest. Apparently you can get a special chimney device for lighting them quicker, I'm going to make one out of a tin can for now. About an hour to get them all lit using the basket. I put 2/3 of the beads under the oven and the rest on top. Leave for about 10-15 minutes to preheat the oven then pop the damper in. IIRC I checked it after about 20 minutes then left it for another 10 to finish off.

earle

Postby barrelboy » Friday May 06, 2011 4:32 pm

Earle that looks great. I was thinking, as damper would travel well, you could post one with the beer when I win the lottery!!
Cheers BB
A barrel a day keeps the doctor away. Drink more piss.
barrelboy

Postby earle » Friday May 06, 2011 4:45 pm

That would work allright if I lived in a capital city with next day express post. When I lived in Brisbane I knew a bloke who's grandmother in Tasmania would cook him things, freeze them and express post them to him. Would still be cold when he got it. Sausage rolls, even cheesy toast. :lol:
earle

Postby Oliver » Saturday May 07, 2011 11:14 pm

'Er indoors made bacon, cheese and onion scones today. Not damper, but pretty bloody good.
Oliver
Administrator

Postby lob » Sunday May 08, 2011 7:38 am

Broome Pale Ale. WA's Finest Craft Beer.
lob

Return to In the kitchen and at the table