Hop Ice Cream

Using the amber fluid in cooking, and pairing beer with food.

Hop Ice Cream

Postby lob » Sunday Sep 04, 2011 6:06 pm

Crimsonwine (on another forum from a US site - homebrewtalk) wrote on 17/5/11:

I too had success with a a hop ice cream I made this last weekend for a BBQ/Homebrew get together. It was surprised how well it was received. I took a mint ice cream recipe I had and used that as a base and basically replaced the mint leaves with hop leaves and the honey with malt.

It takes about two tastes before the hops cut through the malty sweetness and then finishes with a very mild bitterness....

Here is how I made it....makes 2 qt. in Cuisinart ice cream maker.

I used Cascade Hops (4.3% Alpha) because of the fruity notes.

I took about 3 tbs of leaf hops (You could use pellet and next time I probably would, add a little at a time to taste but 2 tbs should be close) and add to food processor with 3/4 cup sugar and blend.

Take heavy cream, whole milk, and malt (DME) and warm up in a 4qt pan to about 150f on stove (DO NOT BOIL)

In a mixing bowl combine egg yolks, the hop/sugar mixture and salt with whisk.

Once milk warms up slowly add it to temper it into the bowl with Hop,egg,sugar mixture....about a 1/4 cup at a time.

once all milk/egg mixture is mixed add back to 4qt pan and put back on stove and bring mixture up to 150f. Let cool and put into refrigerator till mixture gets to at least 40F. The colder the mixture the smaller the ice crystals will form and the creamier your ice cream will be.

Strain mixture through screen to remove vanilla bean pods, solids, etc...

add to your ice cream maker and follow their directions.

Hop Ice Cream Recipe

2tbs Hop Pellets or 3 Tbs Hop Leaf (Cascade is good but any will work)
3/4 cup sugar
4 egg yolks
3 cups heavy cream
1 cup milk
1/4 malt (I used pale malt DME)
1 vanilla bean or 1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt

I'm going to have to give this a go. Very surprised that this was about the only thing I could find on 'Hop Ice Cream' using google.
Broome Pale Ale. WA's Finest Craft Beer.
lob

Re: Hop Ice Cream

Postby drsmurto » Monday Sep 05, 2011 10:59 am

Hop icecream recipe in Paul Mercurio's Cooking with Beer book.....
drsmurto

Postby lob » Tuesday Sep 06, 2011 11:34 am

I haven't seen his book... Sounds like his recipe is more a beer flavoured ice cream rather than a direct hop-flavoured one (an article in SMH described it as 'Wheat Beer Ice Cream'), and it may be similar to this recipe:

Raspberry Wheat Beer Ice Cream

2 c Sugar
2 tb Vanilla
1 bottle Raspberry Wheat Beer / lambic (reserve 4 tb to be added later)
1/2 ts Salt
4 tb Raspberry Wheat Beer
4 Eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 pt Whipping cream
4 c milk

Warm Milk to tepid, add sugar, bottle of beer, and salt, stir. Add 4 Tbs of milk mixture to the eggs and stir light to heat them up. Add eggs to milk mixture. Stir constantly until either the temp. gets to 155F or it coats the back of a spoon. Watch out for egg curdling. Cool in an ice bath for 15 minutes. pour mixture in to the ice cream maker bowl and add the extra 4 Tb of beer. Stir. process in the maker for at least 30 minutes or until the paddle is frozen enough that the maker will not turn. Turn out and Freeze.
Broome Pale Ale. WA's Finest Craft Beer.
lob

Postby drsmurto » Saturday Sep 10, 2011 9:57 pm

My bad, the ice cream is a beer infused one (wheat beer).

It's the panna cotta that uses hop flowers.
drsmurto

Return to In the kitchen and at the table