Great food for great Home Brews

Using the amber fluid in cooking, and pairing beer with food.

Great food for great Home Brews

Postby Anzac Cookies » Saturday Sep 16, 2006 9:47 pm

I had a quick look in the past forums for any food ideas that go with certain HBs. I personally love food and grog and thought that it might be an idea for a food recipe section aswell as grog. :wink:
A woman walks into a bar and orders a double entendre, so the bartender gave her one !
Anzac Cookies

Re: Great food for great Home Brews

Postby Boonie » Saturday Sep 16, 2006 10:20 pm

Anzac Cookies wrote:I had a quick look in the past forums for any food ideas that go with certain HBs. I personally love food and grog and thought that it might be an idea for a food recipe section aswell as grog. :wink:

I love a BBQ with a nice T-bone (Medium)..... :D Especially with my Coopers Sparkling Ale HB, gets better with age.

No salad please, it fills me up :lol:

I went to a "Beer appreciation Night" :wink: ...I'm serious, where they matched the food to the beer.

The beers were all Belgian, and fair dinkum, they really did match them up well.

The only one that did not go, was the Steak with the dark beer.....will try and locate the original flyer from the night.

For Newcastle people, it was at the Silo in town, near the Crown.

Whatever you do, do not drive. 8%+ :shock: Knock your socks off
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Postby gregb » Sunday Sep 17, 2006 6:24 am

A kebab goes well after any beers, as long as there was lots of 'em.

Cheers,
Greg
gregb

Postby yardglass » Sunday Sep 17, 2006 8:27 am

eatin's cheatin !

takes the edge off.
excuse me... your karma just ran over my dogma.

GOOD BREWS
yardglass

Postby blandy » Sunday Sep 17, 2006 9:39 am

gregb wrote:A kebab goes well after any beers, as long as there was lots of 'em.

Cheers,
Greg

Any Red Dwarf fans out there remember that scene from "only the good" (series 8) where Lister and Rimmer drink Baxter's hooch?

Ackerman: You're drunk.

Lister: Me, no sir

Rimmer: Absolultley not sir

Ackerman: Right, who fancies a kebeb?

- lister and rimmer eagerly raise their hands -

Lister: Smeg, he's got us.

Ackerman: Let the hospital know we'll be needing two stomach pumps, ... Super Suck.
I left my fermenter in my other pants
blandy

Postby lethaldog » Sunday Sep 17, 2006 9:54 am

The good old aussie meat pie, cant beat that with a good beer of any sort, especially when indulging in a good game of A.F.L. also anything BBqued :lol: :lol: :lol:
lethaldog

Postby pacman » Sunday Sep 17, 2006 10:50 pm

lethal, where can you get a "good old aussie meat pie' these days? Bear in mind I'm 120km or thereabouts west of Brisbane.

Used to be a pie fancier, but went off them for a few years as they seemed to be losing their appeal. Have done a few work trips in "the sticks" in recent months, and tried the odd pie. Very odd indeed!

Noticed that gristle content appears to have increased, whilst at the same time pastry quality has deteriorated.

Perhaps it is just me, but I have been thoroughly disappointed with the meat pies I have tasted this year.
Cheers,

Pacman
pacman

Postby Dogger Dan » Sunday Sep 17, 2006 11:34 pm

And how is the pea soup?:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby morgs » Monday Sep 18, 2006 9:01 pm

You know whats strange? On my last trip to the land of the long white cloud, i was surprised to see and taste plenty of top quality pies made by our cousins. Needless to say in two weeks many were consumed. You can still get a good one round my way tho.
Purple monkey dishwasher!
morgs

Postby lethaldog » Monday Sep 18, 2006 9:08 pm

pacman wrote:lethal, where can you get a "good old aussie meat pie' these days? Bear in mind I'm 120km or thereabouts west of Brisbane.

Used to be a pie fancier, but went off them for a few years as they seemed to be losing their appeal. Have done a few work trips in "the sticks" in recent months, and tried the odd pie. Very odd indeed!

Noticed that gristle content appears to have increased, whilst at the same time pastry quality has deteriorated.

Perhaps it is just me, but I have been thoroughly disappointed with the meat pies I have tasted this year.

You can still get good pies in melbourne, i also used to live in brisvegas and remmember devouring the odd yatala pie now and then and remmember them to be very tasty :lol: :lol:
lethaldog

Postby Boonie » Monday Sep 18, 2006 9:41 pm

morgs wrote:You know whats strange? On my last trip to the land of the long white cloud, i was surprised to see and taste plenty of top quality pies made by our cousins. Needless to say in two weeks many were consumed. You can still get a good one round my way tho.

If you travel to Newcastle the ex-steel city, drop into Charlestown (On pacific hwy) and go to Hugheys Pies. They have received Gold, Silver and Bronze awards. I work near there and they are fantastic. Recommend the Works, they weigh a tonne and are a meal in itself :D
Boonie

Postby Oliver » Monday Nov 06, 2006 10:42 am

Vili's Pies are great. Nice rich gravy, flaky pastry and tasty filling. They do normal beef pies, as well as "gourmet" such as goulash and chicken (they're two pies, not "goulash chicken!).

Everyone in Melbourne raves about Keith's Pies in Burnley Street, Richmond (near the corner of Crown Street, the former home of Mountain Goat brewery). Haven't tried Keith's offerings myself, but must do soon.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby damonpeyo » Wednesday Nov 08, 2006 12:30 pm

You always can easily make your own pies, they are not that hard, when you have leftover Irish Stout Casserole, make some pies, goes well with HB beers ;)
damonpeyo

Postby Chris » Thursday Nov 09, 2006 11:55 am

Pies made yourself are EASILY the best. Especially with some HB in them.
Chris

Postby Anzac Cookies » Thursday Nov 09, 2006 1:04 pm

Chris wrote:Pies made yourself are EASILY the best. Especially with some HB in them.

Definately, i make wicked Stout Carbonade Pies (individual in their own ramekin), take 6 x 375ml bottles of stout (only one goes into the pies, the rest goes into the cook).
A woman walks into a bar and orders a double entendre, so the bartender gave her one !
Anzac Cookies

Postby Chris » Friday Nov 10, 2006 11:44 am

I like the pork and bitter pies, stout shepard pies, chicken oktoberfest pies, apple barleywine pies, rabbit imperial stout pies...

I like beer and pies!
Chris

Postby Eureka » Friday Nov 10, 2006 10:47 pm

lethaldog wrote:The good old aussie meat pie, cant beat that with a good beer of any sort, especially when indulging in a good game of A.F.L. also anything BBqued :lol: :lol: :lol:

The kind of meat pie with the cow's eyelids and the bull's genitals? That's gotta go well with a pale ale!
Life's not all beer and skittles. Just beer.

Eureka

Postby Boonie » Saturday Nov 11, 2006 6:01 am

Eureka wrote:
lethaldog wrote:The good old aussie meat pie, cant beat that with a good beer of any sort, especially when indulging in a good game of A.F.L. also anything BBqued :lol: :lol: :lol:

The kind of meat pie with the cow's eyelids and the bull's genitals? That's gotta go well with a pale ale!

Eureka, can you give me the name of your pie shop so I do not go there :shock: :lol: ..................ever.
Boonie

Postby corks » Thursday Dec 28, 2006 5:27 am

god blimey, there's more to food than just pies.

chicken parm and a stout goes alright. they have no right to go well together, but they do.

beef and hoiken noodle stir-fry (not spicy) with a lightly hopped ale is always good too.
corks

Postby Pale_Ale » Thursday Dec 28, 2006 11:03 am

Blandy, just noticed the Red Dwarf reference and that bit was hilarious! :D

Domino's Pizza and Coopers Pale Ale is a big part of my diet. They go together well.

Stout seems to go with alot of food for some reason! Not sure why. With Thai it has to be lager though!
Coopers.
Pale_Ale

Next

Return to In the kitchen and at the table