Beer Bread

Using the amber fluid in cooking, and pairing beer with food.

Beer Bread

Postby DarkFaerytale » Wednesday Oct 25, 2006 8:28 am

One beer bread recipe, with a twist.
If you have a brew in the fermenter at the moment, this will be a goody, I made some this afternoon.

4 cups strong flour (plain if thats all you've got)
700 ml wort from your fermenter (must be still bubbling)
1 tsp bread yeast
1 tsp salt
1 tblsp brewers sugar (or normal sugar if thats all you've got)

Get a starter going well in advance with the fermanting wort , the bakers yeast and the brewers sugar. (If you feel like experimenting, wait to see if the starter gets going well. If it does you might not need the bakers yeast if it cranks up well)Put the flour and salt in a bowl, mix a bit. Check the wort starter, once it's going well, start to add it to the flour, mixing well until mix is dry enough to knead easily. It will be a little stiff, but should even out, if not, add a LITTLE water. Once you can stretch a small amount out till it's transparent without if breaking, roll into a ball rub with oil and cover with cling wrap. Allow to rise until a couple of times the size, knock back and shape into loaves or whatever shape you like. Allow to rise again, then bake at 200 deg C until golden on top and you get a solid hollow sound by tapping on the bottom. Rest for a bit on a rack, then eat!

Somewhere in there I forgot to mention the kneading. It takes a bit, but it will make you appreciate the bread more!! Must be kneaded well until it is smooth and stretchy. Takes about 5-10 minutes. Enjoy, I just made Roast Chicken, Mayo and Brie sandwiches with it.Yum!

thank you to kiwidrunk for that recipe

-Phill
DarkFaerytale

Return to In the kitchen and at the table