Spent Specialty Grain Bread

Using the amber fluid in cooking, and pairing beer with food.

Spent Specialty Grain Bread

Postby wildschwein » Saturday Jun 16, 2007 11:43 am

I had some spent specialty grains left over from a steep. Usually I give these to my chooks but I thought I might try and eat them myself so I could get a bit of roughage. The recipe went something like this.

50g (dry weight before steep) of broken spent Chocolate malt
200g (dry weight before steep) of broken spent Crystal malt
2 teaspoons of salt
4 teaspoons of sugar
2 tablespoons of dried baker's yeast
3-4 tablespoons of olive oil
4-5 cups of plain flour
luke warm water

Method.

In a large bowl throw in all ingredients except the water, starting off with only 4 cups of flour. The spent grains still contain a lot of moisture and will get the mixing process started. Use a spoon to start mixing adding a little water at a time until the whole mix comes together into a sticky but consistent mass. Start kneading and adding flour as necassary. If your bowl is big enough you can do it in there or you can need on a clean bench. You're after a pliable dough that doesn't stick too much to your hands. Knead the dough for 8-10 minutes, adding flour as needed. The kneading develops the protein (gluten) in the wheat flour which creates a structure in the loaf that catches and locks in the C02 expelled by the yeast. More needing=better loaf and better rise. After kneading, form the dough into a ball and cover with a light dusting of flour all over. Put in a large bowl and cover with cling film or a damp tea towel. Leave in a warmish place to prove (grow in size) for about 1-2 hours. After this, punch the loaf down, briefly knead again and then shape into a large ball. Put onto a greased baking tray. dust again with flour and cut some light slashes across the top. Heat your oven to 190c and leave the loaf to prove for a second time. I usually find putting it on top of my stove while the oven is heating provides enough ambient warmth to assist the second rise. When the loaf has doubled in size place it in the oven and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour depending on how crusty you like it. To test if your loaf is cooked turn it over and tap on the bottom with a spoon. If you hear a hollow sound it's ready.

Of course, you could always use a bread maker if you have one, but this batch may be a little big for most brands of machine. Either way this is a good method to use up spent grains.
Last edited by wildschwein on Tuesday Jun 26, 2007 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Prost!!!!!!!!!!!

My Blog: http://www.myspace.com/canaanperry
wildschwein

Postby KEG » Saturday Jun 16, 2007 11:48 am

what a great idea!

have you tasted the bread? does it have a real roasty flavour from the choc grain?
KEG

Postby wildschwein » Saturday Jun 16, 2007 5:55 pm

Yeah I had some this morning. Made bacon, egg and cheese sandwich with mustard and ketchup. Tasted really good. The choc malt gives a good brown colour, (a bit like rye loaf) and a slight coffee, roast nut flavour and aroma. It was really moist too. The husks weren't too noticable either as all the kneading had broken all the moistened spent grains up. I'm really happy with this beer by-product. I reckon you could do this recipe with any spent grain except maybe black malt; you'd probably wanna go easy with that one.
Last edited by wildschwein on Tuesday Jun 19, 2007 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prost!!!!!!!!!!!

wildschwein

Postby Chris » Tuesday Jun 19, 2007 11:06 am

I am DEFINITELY going to give that a try! Sounds great.
Chris

Postby KEG » Sunday Jun 24, 2007 10:45 am

Made some yesterday with some used crystal malt. Only made a couple small loaves (out of flour :lol:), but happy with the result. The bread would be fantastic lightly toasted with some thick pea and ham soup.
KEG

Postby wildschwein » Sunday Jun 24, 2007 1:27 pm

Funny you should mention it, I served up some of mine with some pea and ham soup. Went down a treat.
Prost!!!!!!!!!!!

wildschwein

Postby Pale_Ale » Monday Jun 25, 2007 9:11 am

Great idea, I'll give it a go sometime
Coopers.
Pale_Ale

Postby ryan » Tuesday Jun 26, 2007 10:24 am

Aaahh-just had chicken curry on wholegrain bread and a glass of port for breakfast, steady rain here and about 14*. Good lager brewing weather.
ryan

Postby Aussie Claret » Tuesday Jun 26, 2007 11:27 am

Ryan,
F*** me you've got a good job, you need any help? :lol:

AC
There's nothing wrong with having nothing to say - unless you insist on saying it. (Anonymous)
Aussie Claret

Postby ryan » Tuesday Jun 26, 2007 12:05 pm

Aussie Claret wrote:Ryan,
F*** me you've got a good job, you need any help? :lol:

AC

Work for myself,AC, building site cleanups. Can`t do much with this rain. Should be clear by tomorrow,then the westerlies start. Love it :)
ryan

Return to In the kitchen and at the table