Pickled Crab and Beer !

Using the amber fluid in cooking, and pairing beer with food.

Pickled Crab and Beer !

Postby Paleman » Tuesday Jan 29, 2008 7:48 pm

It's that time of year when the Blue Swimmer Crabs move in around my area. About a week ago, i raked up a feed of about 30 big fat blueys.

All cooked in seawater, some eaten hot that day with a cold beer. The rest pickled into jars. All i simply do is pick out the meat, place into jars, add a touch of fresh crushed garlic, some cracked pepper and topped up with white vinegar.

Delicious with an ice cold lager or wheaty !! :P
" White Wine with Roast Beef ! how dare you ? "..... " I dare because I like it ! " ....Dogger on the meaning of life.
Paleman

Re: Pickled Crab and Beer !

Postby Old Gil » Thursday Jan 31, 2008 8:29 am

that sounds bloody beautiful, my mouth is watering, how long do you pickle them for :?:
Is it beer'o'clock yet
Old Gil

Postby lethaldog » Thursday Jan 31, 2008 3:18 pm

That does sound bloody nice, they reckon us aussies are all about B.B.Qed snags but that little concoction is something you would pay nice dollars for at a resteraunt, little do they know hey :lol:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby Paleman » Monday Feb 04, 2008 10:09 am

Swainy wrote:that sounds bloody beautiful, my mouth is watering, how long do you pickle them for :?:

Gday Swainy, usually a week suffices......if you can keep it that long. :twisted:
" White Wine with Roast Beef ! how dare you ? "..... " I dare because I like it ! " ....Dogger on the meaning of life.
Paleman

Postby ryan » Monday Feb 04, 2008 1:49 pm

pity you can`t get a pic. on here of some of those big snapper you`ve accounted for. :D
ryan

Postby Tubbster » Friday Mar 04, 2011 10:29 am

Realise this post is a bit late, however could not help myself, try steaming the crabs, only need a small amount of water, rather than trying to boil up a large pot, I can steam about 70 big size blueys in my copper, once you have picked your crab meat, eat some fresh, then pickle the rest, it can be eaten straight away, or will keep in the fridge for at least 3 mths, but I bet it won't!
So here is my proven recipe, 2/3 white 'malt' vinegar, 1/3 sea water, cracked black pepper and some white sugar.
Place all ingredients in a bowl, add crab meat to sterilised jars (just pour boiling hot water in them & decant) pour in vinegar mix, bit of cracked pepper to the top of jar over meat and close lid.
Guaranteed the best pickled crabs you will ever tatse.
Tubbster

Postby barrelboy » Friday Mar 04, 2011 3:26 pm

Can you post a few jars? Will save me catching them.
A barrel a day keeps the doctor away. Drink more piss.
barrelboy

Return to In the kitchen and at the table