Pickled eggs?

Using the amber fluid in cooking, and pairing beer with food.

Pickled eggs?

Postby Lachy » Friday Feb 13, 2009 12:40 pm

G'day guys,

Recently I've been getting into pickled hard-boiled eggs as a beer snack. They're bloody delicious and go really well in a ploughmans', served with a pint of stout. However, to buy jars of pickled eggs isn't particularly cheap, so I'm looking at making my own. I'm just wondering whether any of you have got a recipe that would fit the bill?
Lachy

Re: Pickled eggs?

Postby KEG » Saturday Feb 14, 2009 7:50 am

The British pub recipe here looks pretty good:
http://www.helpwithcooking.com/egg-guid ... -eggs.html
KEG

Postby Lachy » Tuesday Mar 03, 2009 10:51 pm

Well, after poking around on teh intarwebs for a while, I thought "Stuff it, I'll come up with my own recipe!"... the end result is this:

12 Small Eggs, hardboiled for 12 min
750ml cider vinegar
1 tsp fennel seeds
2 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp whole black peppercorns
3 bay leaves

Boil and peel eggs. Bring vinegar to boil on stove, then drop back to a simmer and add remaining ingredients. Simmer for 10 minutes and then let cool. Once cool, pour over eggs and refrigerate.

After a couple of weeks sitting in the fridge, the eggs are pretty tasty and go down well with a pint of amber ale. I plan to keep a jar on hand at all times.
Lachy

Postby Bizier » Wednesday Mar 04, 2009 7:32 am

I got permission from SWMBO to do the same after reading your first post there, and then I had some last Friday at the Lord Nelson Hotel. Along with pumpkin bread, pickle and cheese, these were fantastic with UK style beers.

I had a great big pickle jar that I was going to use too, but it is now full of WLP400 slurry :)
Bizier

Return to In the kitchen and at the table