Storing in Kegs

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Storing in Kegs

Postby cliffo » Monday Oct 17, 2005 7:12 pm

Hey Guys,

Am starting the process of moving from bottling to kegging. I scored a fridge on the weekend and have a brew about to be ready to bottle/keg.

I'm planning to have the whole thing setup within 6-8 weeks so would the brew be fine if I transfered it into a keg now and let it sit until I get everything up and running?

I'm assuming it would be no different than transferring to bottles and leaving the same time, ie let the beer mature. Is my thinking right on this or am I way off?

Cheers,
cliffo
cliffo

Postby grabman » Tuesday Oct 18, 2005 12:50 am

cliffo,

prime the keg as you would bulk prime bottles, ie about 150gm dex in 250mL boiling water, let this cool and pour into keg then rack beer onto it. Close keg up and let it sit until ready to drink, give it 12 hrs in fridge and away you go!

depending on the brew style should be a winner!
Some people say I have a drinking Problem....
I drink, I get drunk, I fall over....
What's the problem?

http://www.brodiescastlebrewing.com/
grabman

Postby Dogger Dan » Tuesday Oct 18, 2005 2:36 am

I force Carbonate using the CO2 cylinder, then let it sit

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby cliffo » Tuesday Oct 18, 2005 9:03 pm

So if I was to bulk prime as i do with bottling then let it sit, when it comes time to hook it up to the gas do you just set the regulator to normal dispensing pressure?

Also if you force carbonate initially and let it sit for several weeks, when your ready to hook it up do you just set to dispensing pressure or do you need to up the pressure again for a while?

cliffo
cliffo

Postby grabman » Wednesday Oct 19, 2005 12:00 am

with the bulk prime cliffo, just hook gas at dispensing pressure once keg is chilled and away you go.

should be the same with bulk primed kegs, chill and dispense.

I'm finding that "naturally" carbed kegs have a better taste, especially with amber ales etc.
Some people say I have a drinking Problem....
I drink, I get drunk, I fall over....
What's the problem?

http://www.brodiescastlebrewing.com/
grabman

Postby Dogger Dan » Wednesday Oct 19, 2005 2:29 am

Your first couple of glasses will be cloudy,

I don't find that an issue, some do though

I can't tell the difference between natural and forced carbonation. Mind you I have been told many a time that all my taste is in my ass. :lol: :wink:

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby cliffo » Wednesday Oct 19, 2005 7:28 am

Guys..thanks a heap for answering my questions - I should probably change the subject to cliffo's 1000 Newbie Kegging Questions!!! :lol:

Well...I'm well on the way to 1000 so here's another if you don't mind. I'm wanting to have two taps in my fridge so I can have 2 kegs available at any one time. Would I need some sort of T-piece or something to connect too the CO2 cylinder to allow this to happen and if so how would that affect (if at all) the pressure you would set?

thanks again
cliffo
cliffo

Postby Dogger Dan » Wednesday Oct 19, 2005 7:55 am

Yes and No.

To do it right you should run it off a manifold.

Me I just charge them off the single fitting adjusting pressure as needs be Pain sometimes but I can live with it

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby Shaun » Wednesday Oct 19, 2005 2:02 pm

Cliffo

Q1. With storing the beer in the keg even if bulk priming to naturally carbonate some kegs need some pressure in the head space to force them to seal properly you may need to put 10 - 20 PSI in the keg so it seals.

Q2 You can use a T piece in the gas line I run my system this way. You have to run both kegs at the same pressure. I recommend using a JG T piece as they can be removed from the line and a line joiner put in its place if you take a keg somewhere and do not need the two lines.

Here are some pictures of how I have setup mine in this manner with instructions. http://groups.msn.com/MacabresBrewery/shoebox.msnw
Shaun

Postby Aussie Claret » Wednesday Oct 19, 2005 2:50 pm

I also have mine set up similar shauns but I have on/off valves for each keg line after the split, which allows me to change the pressure when needed.

Also I have another split which allows me to gas the keg outside the fridge, I just find it easier, to rock and roll the keg. Brief set up below.

Regulator
|
T section split
/ \
Quick release Into fridge
For force carbonation Split with two valve set up
Outside of fridge Quick release to two kegs

Cheers
AC
Aussie Claret

Postby Aussie Claret » Wednesday Oct 19, 2005 2:59 pm

I'll try that one again

to disconnect outside of fridge for quick force gasing, the disconnect doesnt allow any gas to leak.
/
Reg

\
to fridge where there is a secondary split (inside of fridge) each split has a valve which is then connected to the keg. This allows dispensing of gas at different pressures for each keg. Also allows me to turn off these connections when force carbonating, without having to disconnect any keg.

I don't leave the gas turned on only unless I need to increase dispensing pressure or alternatively force carbonate a keg. Simply to ensure no gas leak.

Does that make any sense?
Cheers
AC
Aussie Claret

Return to Kegging