when to gas the keg

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

when to gas the keg

Postby gary.barker » Wednesday Nov 30, 2005 12:20 am

can anyone tell me after fermenting has finnished and i syphon the brew into the keg. how long do i leave it to settle .because i have been gasing it up straight away and the brew is fine but cloudy.can you tell me your procedure .thanks
gary.barker

Postby Dogger Dan » Wednesday Nov 30, 2005 3:31 am

I always gas mine when it gets cold.

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby Hashie » Wednesday Nov 30, 2005 7:30 am

I naturally carbonate my kegs. This makes the beer cloudy at first, but always clears up pretty quick.
There is no such thing as bad beer. There is only good beer and better beer.
Hashie

Postby Aussie Claret » Wednesday Nov 30, 2005 8:04 am

Gary,
You don't mention if you rack to secondary or not, but personally I rack to a secondary after about 4-5 days or 3/4 of the way through fermentation. This removes the beer off the yeast bed which help to prevent any off flavours and helps clear the beer. I then let the secondary sit for at least 2 weeks if not longer and depending on the type of beer, cold condition in the secondary; basically the longer you leave the beer in the secondary it gives the beer greater time to clear and condition.
So minimum 4-5 days in primary, 2 weeks in secondary (usually longer), then tranfer to keg. Cold conditioning (in fridge) in the secondary also has another benefit, when I gas my kegs I do them cold which helps the beers absorb the co2 more easily then when the beer is warm.

If you are going straight from primary into keg, the beer probably hasn't had sufficient time to clear.
Cheers
AC
Aussie Claret

Postby gary.barker » Wednesday Nov 30, 2005 1:32 pm

thanks for the advise and i havent done secondary yet.dut i will on this next brew .but do i put the secondary on the shelf for 2 weeks .or in the fridge.anyway after the 2 weeks ill drop that brew into keg leave in fridge for 24hours then gas up is that correct thanks.gary
gary.barker

Postby Shaun » Wednesday Nov 30, 2005 1:35 pm

Gary I rack, then keg and gas straight away. First beer is cloudy the rest are clear and bright.
Shaun

Postby Aussie Claret » Wednesday Nov 30, 2005 3:50 pm

Gary,
Secondary really should be stored at the recommended temperature for the yeast type you are using, 18-22c for ales or 8-13c for lagers, as a guide.
I just mentioned the cold storage prior to gasing as the gas is absorbed better when the beer is cold.

Once kegged I store all my full kegs in the fridge to cold condition (I've got five and only two taps) so depending on how much I drink or how many friends come over depends on how long the kegs get to condition, but I try for at least a month especially for lagers, ales doesn't matter so much.
Cheers
AC
Aussie Claret

Postby gary.barker » Thursday Dec 01, 2005 12:19 pm

thanks again for all the advice from all of you .im just about to put another brew down and ill let you know how i go .
gary.barker

Return to Kegging