50 Litre kegs...How can I??

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

50 Litre kegs...How can I??

Postby Boonie » Sunday Feb 25, 2007 1:24 pm

Hi Gentlemen,

I've done a search and have not found a definitive answer for this one, or as my wife said "You had a mans look didn't you" :lol:

I am keen to get into kegging and I have been given 2 x 50 litre kegs.

Very kind of my friend but I am buggered if I know what goes on top of the keg.

I think it is this item on Ebayhttp://cgi.ebay.com.au/Near-New-Tooheys-xxxx-Keg-Coupler-50ltr-Home-Brew_W0QQitemZ170082735001QQihZ007QQcategoryZ118QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem that I need for starters.

Now, what else do I need??

Does anyone have a picture with a list if things I need?

And one more, how do I get the beer in the keg?

I plan to make 2 batches of the same beer and that should account for 40-44 litres in the keg and last a long time :lol: AS IF :lol:

Cheers

Boonie
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Postby Trough Lolly » Sunday Feb 25, 2007 1:57 pm

What sort of keg do you have? Are they sankey kegs with a particular brand name or back of the pub jobs?
The reason I ask is that CUB and Tooheys kegs use different couplers...

Cheers,
TL
Trough Lolly

Postby Boonie » Sunday Feb 25, 2007 2:37 pm

They are the back of Pub ones. I don't ask where he gets them.
Boonie

Postby Trough Lolly » Sunday Feb 25, 2007 2:52 pm

Ok, at a glance it looks like an "A" type keg coupler for that one...

This is an "A" type mount on Micromatic's website:

And so you'll probably need an "A" type coupler, duh!

You can see the gas-in on the LHS of the coupler, beer out on top and this one has a pressure relief valve at the base of the gas in stem.
Anyway the micromatic site is...here if you want to check further.
I agree that they're great for holding a decent qty of beer but I'd never get more than one of these bad boys in my keg fridge! OTOH they make excellent mashtuns and HLT's!
Cheers,
TL
Trough Lolly

Postby Boonie » Sunday Feb 25, 2007 3:11 pm

Thanks TL......Ebay has lots of those, so I am on the right track with that one now that you have cleared that up.

Pictures of anything else I need with a list of parts....? I obviously need gas with Gas lines which I can hire.

Pressure gauges?...Tips?

And one more, how do I get the beer in the keg? I assume I pull the handle to open valve to fill the keg.
Boonie

Postby Rysa » Sunday Feb 25, 2007 3:25 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BRAND-NEW-Harris ... dZViewItem

I helped my brother-in-law set up his shed for Grand Final and we got one of these off Ebay but it pays to shop around on there, we got a buy it now price cheaper than some of the auctions. You can also get them from the place you get the gas from for a bit more $.
We got the font, tap, tap head, regulator and keg coupler from ebay all in great nick (coupler and regulator were new) Thats about all i can think off right now.
Rysa

Postby Boonie » Sunday Feb 25, 2007 3:36 pm

Rysa wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BRAND-NEW-Harris-601-CO2-Regulator-for-Home-Brew-Beer_W0QQitemZ300082778150QQihZ020QQcategoryZ57128QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I helped my brother-in-law set up his shed for Grand Final and we got one of these off Ebay but it pays to shop around on there, we got a buy it now price cheaper than some of the auctions. You can also get them from the place you get the gas from for a bit more $.
We got the font, tap, tap head, regulator and keg coupler from ebay all in great nick (coupler and regulator were new) Thats about all i can think off right now.

Cheers Rysa, all the help I can get the better.
Boonie

Postby Rysa » Sunday Feb 25, 2007 3:43 pm

Forgot, pretty sure it was the blokes at the place we hired gas from that told us the rough pressure for it. Not too sure, i was mainly involved in drinking it on the day rather than worrying bout pressures.
A fella i work with kegs and he said the first few times opening the keg to fill it was hell but once you get the knack of it it's fine, don't know bout that side myself.
Oh, we got the lines from local HBS too. They were a great help.
Good luck, enjoy.
Rysa

Postby Trough Lolly » Monday Feb 26, 2007 10:51 am

Boonie wrote:Thanks TL......Ebay has lots of those, so I am on the right track with that one now that you have cleared that up.

Pictures of anything else I need with a list of parts....? I obviously need gas with Gas lines which I can hire.

Pressure gauges?...Tips?

And one more, how do I get the beer in the keg? I assume I pull the handle to open valve to fill the keg.

G'day Boonie,
I don't use 50L kegs so I'm not much good at telling you how to fill 'em but I recommend you give Craig Deacon a call at Kegsystems in Alexandria, Sydney - 02 9319 5447. No affiliation yada, yada but he knows this territory well and he can send you a price list... http://www.kegsystems.com is their URL...

Cheers,
TL
Trough Lolly

Postby Brewaholic » Monday Feb 26, 2007 5:02 pm

Hey Boonie, those tooheys kegs the top just unscrews give it a tap around with a screwdriver in the hole or use stilsons at least you can get a long handled scrubber in there to clean it out propperly. check out http://www.custombars.com.au for all the parts you need if you cant find em on ebay
Brewaholic

Postby Trough Lolly » Monday Feb 26, 2007 6:58 pm

Brewaholic wrote:Hey Boonie, those tooheys kegs the top just unscrews give it a tap around with a screwdriver in the hole or use stilsons at least you can get a long handled scrubber in there to clean it out propperly. check out http://www.custombars.com.au for all the parts you need if you cant find em on ebay

Excellent link - I've been hunting for a fridge mounted drip tray - thanks!

TL
Trough Lolly

Postby Trough Lolly » Monday Feb 26, 2007 8:27 pm

Boonie wrote:Thanks TL......Ebay has lots of those, so I am on the right track with that one now that you have cleared that up.

Pressure gauges?...Tips?

Boonie,
Once you've got the keg and coupler you need a gas bottle filled with CO2 so you can carbonate the keg and provide pouring pressure once the beer's gassed up. Now to move the CO2, you need a CO2 regulator that steps down the pressure in the gas bottle to safer levels. You'll operate between zero and around 30psi and the pressure in the gas bottle can get over 900psi which is a bit too much for your keg to handle!
You can get a single or dual guage regulator - dual guage units are nice but don't help all that much. One guage measures the pressure being delivered out of the keg and the other guage measures the pressure in the head space of the CO2 bottle. It's meant to show when the CO2 pressure drops so you can get ready to refill or replace it, but to be honest, you don't get much warning and the gas quickly runs out when you've got no liquid CO2 left in the gas bottle to replenish the headspace pressure in the gas bottle as you draw it out. Here's a pic of my dual guage gas regulator showing the low and high side pressure guages. The knob in the centre adjusts gas out pressure of the reg and the gas comes out of the barb on the LHS of the reg:

So let's move on - you need some decent gas line to move the gas from the barb on the gas regulator that's mounted on top of the CO2 bottle. Don't buy cheap crap line from Bunnies - get decent gas line from a HBS that deals with keg setups and lash out and buy an inline check valve to stop any beer running back up the gas line and trashing your expensive gas regulator - which can happen if you have overfilled the keg and it's under pressure. They're an excellent investment...trust me.
Get yourself a bunch of screw driven steel hose clips and secure the hose onto the regulator barb and the gas in barb on the keg coupler. That's basically the gas side done...
Beer out is just as simple - buy a length of Valpar beer line from a keg supplier / HBS (don't use rubbish cheapo plastic line that leaves a delightful garden hose flavour in your beer and makes it hard to balance your beer to gas levels in the beer out line) and at the delivery end you can connect a cobra / picnic tap or a beer tap that's mounted on a font or bartop or on your fridge door - the choice is yours...
A cobra/picnic tap is a good cheap starting tap but it really should only be used as a stopgap until you buy a better quality beer tap. That said, I've used one as an extra pouring solution for my 8 keg setup with not a single problem - as long as you keep it clean...here's a pic of one correctly fitted to a beer line with a small hose clamp I mentioned earlier:

With this basic setup in play, you can get by but a more sophisticated tap is what you'll need, such as a pluto gun which is a handgun that you might have seen at some BBQ's:

Or you might want a more elegant solution, such as a tap mounted on the fridge door onto a shank that has a nipple on the back end that you connect the beer line to inside the fridge. Here's my Ventmatic Ultra Flow tap and shank setup:

One hole in the side of the fridge allows a gas line in and another hole on the door lets me mount the shank and tap assembly. Alternatively, you might want to setup a very sexy chest freezer with temp controller and chilled font on top that houses several taps - very very nice but not cheap...Ross has a brilliant setup that I'm sure he'll happily post some pics of if you ask nicely! :wink: Here's a shot of a two tap font to give you a general idea of what you could mount on a bar or converted chest freezer:

Anyway, that's a rough guide - you need gas in and lines and a beer out line to a delivery tap. Once it's all setup you need to balance the system - so you don't get all foam or flat beer out of the tap. That's another story!! Here's a summary pic of the beer system using a D type coupler, but the principles remain the same:

Cheers,
TL
Trough Lolly

Postby Boonie » Monday Feb 26, 2007 8:55 pm

Trough Lolly you are a dead set legend. :D

Brewaholic you too, cheers for the link, man they have all the gear there...woohoo and cheap gas :wink:

TL thanks for all the hard work in sending me the info, absolutely brilliant. Exactly what I was after and I think the chest freezer sounds brilliant with the temp controller.

Man I love this site, everyone is so helpful.

Ross, do you have a photo?? I have seen some crackers on Ebay which had a big $ price on them :wink:

Cheers fellas, if you could see the smile on my face tonight, you'd be blind from my smile.......not blind drunk, just visually impaired from the glow :wink:

Cheers

Boonie
Boonie

Postby Trough Lolly » Monday Feb 26, 2007 8:59 pm

No probs Boonie - that's what brewing's all about, having fun making and drinking good beer and helping out fellow brewers along the way... :wink:
Give me a hoy if you pass by Canbeera and I'll pour you a glass or two! 8)

Cheers,
TL
Trough Lolly

Postby Aussie Claret » Tuesday Feb 27, 2007 8:13 am

Boonie,
If you are after a font type set up, let me know as I have a spare two tap andale font, with taps. It's not new but in reasonable condition, I'll post a couple of pics if you are interested. Any reasonable offer.

AC
There's nothing wrong with having nothing to say - unless you insist on saying it. (Anonymous)
Aussie Claret

Postby drsmurto » Tuesday Feb 27, 2007 8:52 am

Not going to cut in on you boonie but which style font is the one you are getting rid of AC? I am looking to setup my bar in the next few months and need to start from scratch so am looking to collect a few items. Can you post a pic or email me?

Boonie - you have first go at this since AC offered it to you. :D

Cheers
DrSmurto
drsmurto

Postby Boonie » Tuesday Feb 27, 2007 11:02 am

Aussie Claret wrote:Boonie,
If you are after a font type set up, let me know as I have a spare two tap andale font, with taps. It's not new but in reasonable condition, I'll post a couple of pics if you are interested. Any reasonable offer.

AC

Blood oath I am interested. So is drsmurto by the sounds of it, cheers for first stab.

Email with the price darkie_m@hotmail.com if you do not want to post price here.

Cheers AC

Boonie
Boonie

Postby Aussie Claret » Tuesday Feb 27, 2007 12:38 pm

Guys, I'll post a few pics tonight when I get home from work, it is a two tap font andale T shape and has two flo right ( I think) taps both swing top taps.
Just regarding the price just make an offer if you're interested (you can PM me). Look at the photo's first.
AC
There's nothing wrong with having nothing to say - unless you insist on saying it. (Anonymous)
Aussie Claret

Postby heathen » Wednesday Feb 28, 2007 6:10 pm

hi, i used the 50 litre kegs (cub) for about a year before i gave up. i just could not get the carbonation right for pale beers. stouts and brown ales were ok. i now use the 18 litre kegs and have no complaints. first batch was perfect. i still have 4 50 litre kegs on hand and the equpment that goes with it. if anyones interested let me know. cheers, heathen
heathen

Postby Trough Lolly » Wednesday Feb 28, 2007 6:42 pm

G'day Heathen,
Whacking your location in your profile would be good! :wink:
Trough Lolly

Next

Return to Kegging