carb problem

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

carb problem

Postby Shanus » Sunday Jun 06, 2010 11:05 am

hi i have a frideg set up with two kegs and taps

i have a one way valve to protect my reg then in the fridge i have a t piece to splt the gas to both kegs

i left the gass on both my kegs for over a week at 10 PSI to carb up my cider and my beer (my cider was done just to lasy to dissconnet)

i got home after a week and my cider is really nice and gases the way i want it but my beer was still flat can anyone explain why my beer is still flat?

i have had a similar problem in the past where i had them both carb and when they were both conected to the gas the beer seemed to get a little flat and the cider would get or gase
Shanus

Re: carb problem

Postby hirns » Sunday Jun 06, 2010 3:53 pm

Not sure but was one keg already cold? Warm liquid won't charge with co2 as readily as cold liquid. I force carb my kegs at 40-42 psi for two days and then blead the gas to 7psi pouring pressure and never have a problem. I know some people chill in cubes and add the cold beer to the keg and then carb at 40psi and shake the hell out of the keg every now and then for thirty minutes so that the liquid absorbs the gas; you can then be drinking it within 30 minutes. I know that this does not answer your question but may give you some ideas :D .

Hirns
hirns

Postby Shanus » Sunday Jun 06, 2010 4:05 pm

the beer had been in the fridge for over 24hours so it should have been cold
and leaving it for 7 days sould have carb up something
Shanus

Postby SuperBroo » Tuesday Jun 08, 2010 12:31 pm

Just did the same with my first keg on the weekend, it was flat after a week of carbonating at 3 degrees, 90 kpa,
I just upped the pressure to 130 kpa, shook $h!t out of it for a few minutes, repressurised to 130 kpa, shook again.
2 hours later, pouring like a beauty, dropped to 90 kpa, all good.
Am still learning correct pressures, but really happy with it.

Also went to a mates yesterday afternoon, filled 4 pet bottles from the tap using a plastic tube that reaches the bottom of the bottle. I just let it overflow the froth until the bottle is full, then screwed caps on, rinse beer off under tap, into esky on ice. I lost about 1/2 a cup full of beer to fill 4 bottles, not bad.
Bottles all had plenty of pressure when opened over the next few hours, that will be my standard procedure from now.

It was a DrSmurto's JSGA clone, which I absolutley love, and so does every other freeloading bugger that tries it :)

cheers,
Chris
SuperBroo

Postby hirns » Tuesday Jun 08, 2010 7:13 pm

Grog wrote:Just did the same with my first keg on the weekend, it was flat after a week of carbonating at 3 degrees, 90 kpa,
I just upped the pressure to 130 kpa, shook $h!t out of it for a few minutes, repressurised to 130 kpa, shook again.
2 hours later, pouring like a beauty, dropped to 90 kpa, all good.
Am still learning correct pressures, but really happy with it.

Also went to a mates yesterday afternoon, filled 4 pet bottles from the tap using a plastic tube that reaches the bottom of the bottle. I just let it overflow the froth until the bottle is full, then screwed caps on, rinse beer off under tap, into esky on ice. I lost about 1/2 a cup full of beer to fill 4 bottles, not bad.
Bottles all had plenty of pressure when opened over the next few hours, that will be my standard procedure from now.

It was a DrSmurto's JSGA clone, which I absolutley love, and so does every other freeloading bugger that tries it :)

cheers,
Chris

Ahhh that reminds me of two things that could be the problem. The first is to do with headspace as with more room in the keg for the gas you have a larger amount of gas passing over the liquid even if the surface area of liquid is the same. The second point that I recall reading somewhere was to do with a barrier being created on the surface of liquid(hop oil I think it may have been) which may shield the liquid from the gas. Apparently, it doesn't happen very often, but it does happen. The solution is to do the shake! Do a search here in the kegging system as I'm sure that I've read of this problem before. I have experienced the one brew myself that simply refused to gas until I used the shake method.

Cheers

Hirns
hirns

Postby speedie » Wednesday Aug 18, 2010 5:53 am

try swaping the co2 leads from bottle to bottle?
speedie

Return to Kegging