Newbie Building a Kegerator

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Re: Newbie Building a Kegerator

Postby hirns » Sunday Aug 22, 2010 9:40 am

hirns wrote:Made mine from an old free bar fridge, which I modified the freezer on to fit the upright kegs. I bought a used carlton pub font on ebay for $50 which came with an comercial Andale tap(Andale does sell direct to home brewers at what I think are good prices compared to the cheaper stuff often often flogged on Ebay). I drilled the 50mm hole in the top of the barfridge with a holesaw and was given a ss drip tray from a renovated pub. A cheaper alternative for the $500 plus jobs on ebay. Only some bare fridges such has Haier and some kelvinators are wide enough to take two kegs. :)

Hirns

Rotten: Feel free to ask, that's whole idea of the site :D .
From earlier in this post: Will add that the fridge is an old "Pacific" job from a renovated hotel I got for free. But seriously it was only worth $50 but it worked and I changed the colour from brown to white with a spray pack. At first I simply had the one keg and no font. Beer was dispensed in pluto gun style fashion with a through wall style swing tap that sat in a dish inside the fridge(why, cause the tap was a freebie along with two drip trays from the hotel above that the old man was renovating). The swingstyle tap was then fitted to the $50 Calton font and then later upgraded to the Andale Floryte tap ($26 on ebay) $101 new from Andale who sell direct to homebrewers, fonts, the lot. I have another $40 ebay twin tap Calton font (which came with another swing tap) for when I get around to adapting it further to fit two kegs.

The only dificult thing about this conversion is folding the freezer base straight down the back wall of the fridge without breaking the aluminium and releasing the gas. I did this by slowly rolling/ forming it over a keg and increasingly larger diameter objects.
As said before the Haier and some fridges will fit two kegs, other fridges like the LG have a shoebox freezer on only one side that allow you to fit one keg. The Haier and the Kelvinators have the element intergrated into the back wall of the fridge so you don't need to do anything except use a holesaw for the font hole and a single hole in the side for your gas line. The Haiers fridges are cheapest at around $300, the kelvinators new are about $400. The ebay keggerators hold three kegs and come with the cheep font $500. So in terms of dollers it depends on your long term goals, 1,2 or three kegs and if your happy to chase some ebay and second hand bargins. Note: to add the extra keg to mine I'll need to take out the thermostat and replace it with an external fridgemate or or move it within.
Cheers
Hirns
hirns

Postby rotten » Sunday Aug 22, 2010 8:18 pm

Thanks Hirns.
Sometimws forget to check previous posts when late night forum searching.
Unless I can get some cheap gear the keggerators actually compare very well, and would be simpler for me. Christmas not far away now, I wonder how good I have been?
Cheers
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Postby hirns » Sunday Aug 22, 2010 8:53 pm

If I could save the $100 dollars in delivery by living in Sydney/Melbourne and flog off the cheap $50 duel Chinese font on Ebay for the same then I would buy one but use Andale for a Grande kegerator :D .

Cheers :P

Hirns!
hirns

Previous

Return to Kegging