Newbie Building a Kegerator

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Newbie Building a Kegerator

Postby wood88 » Monday Jun 07, 2010 7:08 pm

Hey Guys,

Just wondering what way you all went to buying and setting up your kegerator.
I'm leaning towards getting a chest freezer due to i think it would look better when finished and it will also be cheaper to run in the long term, do you guys recommend installing a fan inside the freezer?

The questions i want to know are:
- Is there any major difference between new kegs and reconditioned kegs?
- Are the kits on ebay any good or should i go to a local brew shop and buy from there? (live in Perth)
- What are the best options for me if i get 3 kegs going to one tap for each keg, anything i should keep an eye out on or any particular way the setup should be done?

Thanks all
Cheers
wood88

Re: Newbie Building a Kegerator

Postby Tipsy » Tuesday Jun 08, 2010 9:10 am

Reconditioned keg are cheap
http://craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=898

Get the quick disconnect fittings and Perlick taps shit all over micro matics for cleanlinest.
I got mine of ebay.

I use a fridge set up, but that is only because I had one and if I used it for my fermenting it would render the freezer section useless.
Tipsy

Postby bullfrog » Tuesday Jun 08, 2010 10:31 am

I went with a chest freezer that has enough space for 4 kegs and the gas bottle. I've got three taps so one keg can be carbonating away, just in case one blows in the middle of a session.

All of my kegs (I have 8 ) are reconditioned and work perfectly. If you do get re-co'd kegs, make sure they've got new seals on them, though. Otherwise, it may be an idea to pick up a few new seals and change them over yourself.

Can't speak for Perlick taps because all of mine are Cellis. I like the Celli because it means I didn't have to balance my lines due to the on-board regulator that the taps have. Means you can use the shortest amount of hosing from keg to tap, and not have to have metres and metres of hosing getting in the way.

Also can't speak for keggerator kits from ebay. I had a lot of fun building my own system, but then, I was told that it had to fit in with the rest of our living-room decor, so I didn't have too much of an option. The most time consuming step for me was building the cabinet that houses the whole thing.
Last edited by bullfrog on Wednesday Jun 30, 2010 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bullfrog

Postby wood88 » Tuesday Jun 08, 2010 7:23 pm

thanks bullfrog and Tipsy for your feedback.

Bullfrog what size chest freezer did you use and are you using a fan with it or not?
The Cellis taps sound like a good idea, might have a look at them.
Do have any pics of your complete setup?

Cheers
wood88

Postby hirns » Tuesday Jun 08, 2010 7:26 pm

Made mine from an old free bar fridge, which I modified the freezer on to fit the upright kegs. I bought a used carlton pub font on ebay for $50 which came with an comercial Andale tap(Andale does sell direct to home brewers at what I think are good prices compared to the cheaper stuff often often flogged on Ebay). I drilled the 50mm hole in the top of the barfridge with a holesaw and was given a ss drip tray from a renovated pub. A cheaper alternative for the $500 plus jobs on ebay. Only some bare fridges such has Haier and some kelvinators are wide enough to take two kegs. :)

Hirns
hirns

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Jun 09, 2010 12:43 pm

I've got the traditional bar setup.

A beautiful slab of redgum with a 3 tap font.

An all fridge holds the kegs and is the only fridge of the 4 i have for brewing that i paid for! $300 and it holds 4 x 19L corny kegs. 3 are connected to the font via a hole in the side of the fridge, the 4th has a picnic tap and now runs sparkling mineral water. The beer lines are insulated outside of the fridge.

Haven't updated the pics of the bar in a few years so the english handpump is not in the pics. Nor is the s/s drip tray. I have also removed the commercial beer badges with plans of making my own but 2 years later i still haven't done anything about it! The 4th keg fits in the top left corner of the fridge and i have removed the top shelf which allows me to fill up the remaining shelf with beer glasses keeping them at the same temperature as the beer.

I should point out this is all housed in a single car garage that was converted to a 'boys room' before i bought the house so the bar was already there, the walls already rendered. I just added the fridge and font and went from there. Previous owner had an old poker machine with the pull handle as well as a cigarette vending machine - see last picture!

drsmurto

Postby SuperBroo » Wednesday Jun 09, 2010 1:02 pm

Hey Doc,
what sort of label you chasing for your taps ?

might be able to help a bit there...

cheers,
Chris
SuperBroo

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Jun 09, 2010 1:25 pm

I need to create my own brewery label to then stick over the font decals rather than displaying tooheys old etc

As an artist i make a brilliant scientist! I can't draw and have no idea how to use the various free drawing/art type programs.

I think I'll stick to the rocket science, much simpler.
drsmurto

Postby wood88 » Wednesday Jun 09, 2010 1:58 pm

nice setup doc.
too bad you wernt allowed to keep the poker machine :)

where did you buy your 3 tap on your red-gum from i like the look of it?

Cheers
wood88

Postby SuperBroo » Wednesday Jun 09, 2010 2:17 pm

Doc,

PM me and I'l sort something with you...

cheers, Chris
SuperBroo

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Jun 09, 2010 2:37 pm

wood88 wrote:nice setup doc.
too bad you wernt allowed to keep the poker machine :)

where did you buy your 3 tap on your red-gum from i like the look of it?

Cheers

Right place at the right time.

Best place to look is ebay or post a wanted to buy on AHB.

Sorry i cant be of more help.

If i was to do it from scratch i would probably go the chest freezer option as the beer line is in the fridge at all times. My beer line extends ~1m outside the fridge and whilst i have insulated it, in the middle of summer the beer in the line warms up.

Grog - will PM you with ideas re name and possible design thoughts.
drsmurto

Postby wood88 » Wednesday Jun 09, 2010 7:33 pm

arh so its just one from an old pub or something?
Will keep me eye out.

Cheers
wood88

Postby drsmurto » Thursday Jun 10, 2010 11:35 am

A few just got listed on AHB - Link
drsmurto

Postby matr » Monday Jun 21, 2010 6:32 pm

I don't think anyone answered wood88's question about using a fan.... This is the answer I was also looking for.

My converted chest freezer is icing up at 1 end so was thinking of putting a fan in to circulate the air. Does anyone recommend a type of fan? & do you just wire it into the Fridgemate with the compressor wires?

Also wood88 if you want kegs in Perth you can get them from Brewmart in Bayswater (they supply to the other HBS) if you twist Neil's arm you should get them for about $70. They aren't recon but are tested and guaranteed so if something needs replacing just take it back. However Craftbrewer is a good option if you are prepared to wait.

Chest freezers at a resonable price are hard to come by in Perth. Spent months looking until I found a 360L for $80. You may get lucky quickly though. Just make sure it's 220L minimum so you can get 3 kegs in easily.

Cheers, Mat.
matr

Postby chadjaja » Monday Jun 21, 2010 9:50 pm

I just run a pc fan from a power unit powered by a mobile phone charger. Not only does it get the cold air to the back of the tap shanks for better pours it also helps eliminate the growth of mould and condensation in the freezer. Dead easy to wire up and easy to mount. I've had the best results with the fan at the top of the freezer but anywhere is pretty good as it will cause circulation in such a small space anyway.
chadjaja

Postby wood88 » Tuesday Jun 29, 2010 8:40 pm

Cheers matr,

Will have a look at those guys.
Yer having been looking a while for a chest freezer in the quokka and Gumtree but every time i find one its either sold, too small or rusted out completly.
Will keep on looking thou, one has to pop up eventually.

Any reason why brewmarts website isnt working?
Will have a look at craftbrewer when they come online again.
wood88

Postby rotten » Wednesday Jun 30, 2010 8:25 pm

Brewmart worked for me, give it another go.
Cheers
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Postby wood88 » Friday Jul 02, 2010 12:54 pm

yep working now
Cheers
wood88

Postby hirns » Saturday Aug 21, 2010 8:43 am

My homemade kegerator

Cheers Hirns
hirns

Postby rotten » Saturday Aug 21, 2010 11:24 pm

G'day Hirns.
I keep looking at ready made keggerators and dreaming of the possibilities. How did yours compare $ wise with tap, keg, fridge etc (if you don't mind me asking of course)
Cheers
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Next

Return to Kegging