counter pressure bottling

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

counter pressure bottling

Postby speedie » Sunday Oct 03, 2010 10:25 am

One of the follow brewers was given a counter pressure gun as a gift
So it was put to good use yesterday and was used to bottle some apple cider that was taking up space in the cool room

It has a post mix gas and liquid connection plus a third quarter flare gas connection to connect to your co2 bottle

The filling action is put the spear into the bottle depress the gas button on the handle
Which pushes a burst of co2 from the bottom of the spear which purges’ the bottle them you simply pull on the handle which then released the liquid from the bottom of the spear also, this then fills from the bottom up

There is a fair bit of breakout but with practice we managed to get the bottles filled to within 10 mm from the top then capped them

It is hoped that there will be enough co2 left in solution to keep the right pressure in the bottle
When we do this next time I will set the cool room temperature to 0 degrees the night before and put all of the bottles in the cool room as well hopefully this will reduce the breakout of gas

If any of you are interested in the gun it can be bought from bilchman engineering
It would be good for presenting your draft beers for judging
:!:
speedie

Re: counter pressure bottling

Postby matr » Sunday Oct 03, 2010 11:14 am

I'm assuming cos I brew all extract I don't need / can't use one of these?

Please post in the correct area speedie....
matr

Postby speedie » Sunday Oct 03, 2010 11:27 am

did i suggest anyway that you couldnt use it! :? confused?
speedie

Postby bullfrog » Sunday Oct 03, 2010 11:39 am

You posted it in the Grain Brewing section of the forum, Speedie. Counter pressure bottle filling clearly isn't reserved for grain brewers exclusively and the thread should have been put in the Kegging section.

But yes, counter pressure bottle fillers have been around for a very long time. Most reputable homebrew stores will have them or will be able to get them in for you. Last time I looked, Craftbrewer had two different models. For the more adventurous, there are also countless numbers of designs online if you'd like to try your hand at making one yourself. Just Google "counter pressure bottle filler design" and you'll get a lot of hits.
bullfrog

Postby matr » Sunday Oct 03, 2010 12:51 pm

speedie wrote:did i suggest anyway that you couldnt use it! :? confused?

No you didn't but by posting it in the "Grain Brewing" area one would assume it's part of grain brewing practice? Much like the yeast reculture thread...

Or maybe you just don't want input from us peasant extract brewers?? :roll:

Just do everyone a favour and post in the correct area.. It's not that hard champ. :wink:
matr

Postby speedie » Sunday Oct 03, 2010 4:04 pm

point taken
speedie

Postby gregb » Sunday Oct 03, 2010 4:12 pm

Thread moved to the kegging area.
gregb

Postby speedie » Sunday Oct 03, 2010 9:11 pm

tried one of the bottlres of cider tonight
was more than happy with co2 retension!
speedie

Postby bullfrog » Sunday Oct 03, 2010 11:48 pm

Speedie, your mentioning that you would cool the bottles down is definitely a good move when filling from a keg. Apart from that, if you have a decent counter pressure filler, then there's no reason why any large amount of carbonation should be lost in the process.
bullfrog

Return to Kegging