Ball lock vs pin lock

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Ball lock vs pin lock

Postby Planner » Wednesday Jan 19, 2011 3:23 pm

I know the difference between the two connection types, but can't find any refererence to pros and cons of each.
The only advice I've read is that ball locks are more common and thus easier to purchase, so go with them.
If pin locks are available at a reasonable price are they worth considering?

I am currently looking at purchasing components seperately to build a kegging setup over time (as I find pieces at the right price). Initially aiming for 2 kegs with the possibility of expanding later.

Planner
Nothing interesting to see here, move along.
Planner

Re: Ball lock vs pin lock

Postby Shanus » Thursday Jan 20, 2011 1:15 pm

i have pin locks and they work well and you dont have to worry about mixing the gas and the beer up as they are 2 or 3 pins

i would say get what ever you can get at a good price
Shanus

Postby Planner » Friday Jan 21, 2011 11:59 am

Thanks Shanus, thats the reassurance I was after. There seems to be a lot of pinlock kegs kicking around for sale at present.
I'll keep my eyes peeled and grab a couple (of either style) at some point.
Planner

Postby Trough Lolly » Saturday Jan 22, 2011 4:29 pm

G'day Planner,
I'll happily stand corrected, but I don't think one type of connect is necessarily better than the other. I believe it's a case of economics - if you had pin and ball lock connects then you'd have to manage the logistics of which keg and beer / gas line connects you'd have to use.
For me, I'd choose one type of connect based on availability and buy all of your kegs and fittings accordingly and not sweat which keg has what connects on it etc... All of my 8 kegs are ball lock and work fine for me.

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby Planner » Monday Jan 24, 2011 7:50 am

Trough Lolly wrote:if you had pin and ball lock connects then you'd have to manage the logistics of which keg and beer / gas line connects you'd have to use.

Thanks TL, was never my intention to mix connect types (even if my reply to Shanus was a little unclear). It was a matter of which type I bought first and then stuck with. At present I can get a pair of pressure tested pinlocks, 2 x seal kits and connects for $95. Looking fairly closely at this purchase.

Planner
Planner

Postby speedie » Saturday Mar 12, 2011 4:26 pm

kegs are the same only difference is the pop manufactures (pepsi) balll lock (coke) pin lock used it to stop cross use of each otherts vessels and dispencing equipment
each system does the same thing
speedie

Return to Kegging