kegging

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

kegging

Postby damo2583 » Tuesday Mar 15, 2011 8:01 am

hi guys im new to this whole homebrewing thing i have made a few brews im looking at going to kegs do i need to put sugar in the kegs then let sit or give them a quick hit with the co2 then let sit ? and if i make a 23 litre of brew then put a side in the secondary fermemter and put down a brew the same again can i add the 2 brews together in the same keg making 46 litres as my kegs are 50litre ??
damo2583

Re: kegging

Postby barrelboy » Tuesday Mar 15, 2011 9:09 am

Welcome aboard. I'd run 2 fermenters at the same time. With regards to the kegging part others with lots more knowledge than me will respond.
BB
A barrel a day keeps the doctor away. Drink more piss.
barrelboy

Re: kegging

Postby chadjaja » Tuesday Mar 15, 2011 9:36 am

Just how are you planning on filling your 50L kegs? I assume you have the normal pub kegs that can't be opened or cleaned efficiently.

You 'can' prime a keg like a bottle with sugar to get carbonation but most of us simply hook it up to our gas for a short period of time. I've scaled down my brews to 20L batches but if you use a can kit you can still make 23L's and bottle a few stubbies as well to put away for comparison. From experience most kits come out much better with 21L's rather than 23L's which dilutes the taste too much imo.
chadjaja

Return to Kegging