Kegging

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Kegging

Postby Bubble » Friday Apr 08, 2011 10:02 pm

Hello everyone, first post here.

My first question is this:
When kegging the brew after it as reached it's desired levels do i add anything in with the beer, or do i just seal it and leave it for a few more weeks?
Thanks in advance...
Great site guys :wink:
BEER IS LIKE A QUIET WOMAN
Bubble

Re: Kegging

Postby rotten » Friday Apr 08, 2011 10:17 pm

Welcome to the forum mate.
You can drink your kegged beer once it's carbed. You may want to let it mature a bit depending on the style. Add Co2 :wink:
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Postby Bubble » Friday Apr 08, 2011 11:02 pm

I should have said, it's a Coopers Lager to start my brewing life of with. All of my gear, which consists of a beer barrel(keg) a fermenting bucket with sealable lid and air hole, hydrometer and other bits of pipe lol, all shipped over with me from the UK, never used it there but going to give it a good thrashing here - beer prices here are scary.
Bubble

Postby billybushcook » Saturday Apr 09, 2011 3:22 am

Bubble wrote:My first question is this:
When kegging the brew after it as reached it's desired levels do i add anything in with the beer, or do i just seal it and leave it :

Hi Bubble & welcome,
You will need to purge out all the air with Co2 ASAP to stop it spoiling.

You can carbonate a keg by adding sugar, like a large bottle if you wish but best done by using gas.
I don't use kegs but to the best of my knowledge you should chill it down after purging & then pressurise to carbonate, some one else will be able to elaborate on pressures for you here,

Cheers, mick.
Home brew my Arse, get that Shit to forensics!
billybushcook

Postby Bubble » Saturday Apr 09, 2011 10:57 am

Thanks for replies, so let me get this straight. When the brew as finished bubbling and i get two readings of the same, i can transfer to my barrel without adding anything else to the brew screw the cap up and wait for a few weeks then open the tap and try the beer. Whats with all of this gassing and purging about? And how would i go about doing it please - sorry for being an arse but i have no idea, i even went on youtube and found a guy doing a coopers on there, he never gassed?
Thanks in advance.
Bubble

Postby squirt in the turns » Saturday Apr 09, 2011 9:46 pm

What kind of barrel have you got, Bubble? The responses you're getting about gassing and purging refer to the use of stainless steel kegs, usually Cornelius branded ones which are readily available second hand. The beer is transferred to the keg and can be force carbonated using CO2 gas (from a bottle/tank with a regulator attached) under high pressure, or have sugar added to allow it to carbonate naturally over a couple of weeks. The same CO2 bottle is then used at much lower pressure to dispense the beer.

Your barrel sounds like it's probably a large plastic vessel? Some beer styles (English ales, for example) lend themselves to being gravity poured from a non-pressurised container, with very low carbonation levels, but this is not what "kegging" generally refers to.
squirt in the turns

Postby Bubble » Sunday Apr 10, 2011 10:48 pm

nice one, close this thread please i have learned a lesson - sorry for waisting peoples time and bandwidth.
It is the plastic type of beer barrel.
Bubble

Postby Oliver » Monday Apr 11, 2011 12:46 pm

No need to apologise, Bubble. Just a misunderstanding about brewing terms between those from Old Blighty and the colonies :-)

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Return to Kegging