First timer questions

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

First timer questions

Postby Cookie1 » Wednesday Aug 17, 2011 7:01 am

I am going to keg my own beer, do I leave the beer in the fermenter the same amount of time as I would if putting it in a bottle? or can I store it in a keg? Will it be ready to drink after being gassed or is there a longer waiting period?
Cookie1

Re: First timer questions

Postby Oliver » Wednesday Aug 17, 2011 10:48 am

Hi and welcome, Cooki1.

I'm not a kegger, so some wiser souls will probably contradict me completely, but my understanding is:

Cookie1 wrote:do I leave the beer in the fermenter the same amount of time as I would if putting it in a bottle?

Yes, don't keg it before the stage at which you would normally bottle.
Cookie1 wrote:or can I store it in a keg?

You can store it in the keg for quite some time, but don't look at the keg as a conditioning vessel. You can always rack the beer and cold condition in another fermenter before kegging.
Cookie1 wrote:Will it be ready to drink after being gassed or is there a longer waiting period?

It can be drunk straight away (again, this is my understanding so I'll sit back and wait for the howls!).

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby jello » Wednesday Aug 17, 2011 12:02 pm

I'm only new to kegging so my process might not right or the best practice.
I have been racking my beer into a secondary fermenter after about a week with some finings to try and clear my beer of any excessive floaties. I've kept it there for another week, and put the fermenter in the fridge the day prior to kegging.

Once the keg and beer has reached desired temperature, I force carbonate the impatient way. I then leave it for an hour or so and then purge the excess pressure. Then consume :)

I've read that beer can condition in the keg with good results. Provided you've purged excess oxygen if you haven't carbonated it. I've been far too impatient to age my kegs at all. I will when I go all grain.

I reiterate that i'm only new to kegging and my method might not be best practice.
Jeff.
jello

Postby Cookie1 » Wednesday Aug 17, 2011 3:18 pm

thanks guys i need all the help i can get .Ive been brewing in bottles for years my wife says shes not cleaning any more bottles wich is very disapointing after having a great beer for so long.we have agreed to give the kegging system ago i hope my old coopers with honey rescipe will still be the same. i am sure i will have heaps more questions and will find the answers here love the web site already thanks again.
Cookie1

Postby jello » Wednesday Aug 17, 2011 4:31 pm

Cookie1 wrote: i hope my old coopers with honey rescipe will still be the same. .

It'll be better :D
Jeff.
jello

Postby earle » Wednesday Aug 17, 2011 4:37 pm

I wish my wife would get sick of bottles and let me get into kegging. :( :lol:
earle

Postby Tipsy » Wednesday Aug 17, 2011 6:43 pm

Ya gotta start leaving them all over the place Earl.
Tipsy

Postby rotten » Wednesday Aug 17, 2011 9:27 pm

Tipsy wrote:Ya gotta start leaving them all over the place Earl.

That's what worked for me :lol:
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Return to Kegging