Keggerator and froth

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Keggerator and froth

Postby AidanMatthews » Monday Dec 17, 2012 3:24 pm

Ok so i got a keggerator for my 30th finally come in from my brewshop.

Im getting glasses of foam, drink the foam top up, do this 3 times and i eventually get a schooner of beer.

It is set to 2*c, testing showed 3l milk carton full of water @2*c so the temp is ok.
The keggerator is outside but during the days of testing its been as warm outside as it is inside and about 20*c outside.

I have replaced standard line with hard white line it says on it 5/16" and inner diametre 0.187" i think thats 5mm.
This line is around 2m.

All posts tested before connecting disconnects no leaks, the odd bubble does appear in line but no spitting when pouring.
I have frozen a wet flannel and stuffed it in the font to cool the lines the entire length of the font.

I have tried pouring between 30kpa and 100kpa.
I have poured from a undercarbed keg and a carbed keg, same results.

With the clealr pipe connected the beer at the top just before the tap was clear when flowing, out of tap was white turbulent/frothed beer.
I took tap of and cleaned it, noticed on inside of font connection the chrome suface has worn away and can see copper.... The tap itself is fine.

- what is causing the excessive froth?

I am thinking line still too short or the connection between tap and font is causing turbulance.
All Grain - Still learning with Every Batch.
AidanMatthews

Re: Keggerator and froth

Postby rotten » Monday Dec 17, 2012 5:39 pm

I think your line length is too short, your beer is too cold, and serving pressure not right for both of these things. You are probably overcarbed as well and that takes time and burping-serving with no C02 to fix. You may just be sucking in air when pouring somewhere too.

Search here for 'crozdog spreadsheet', someone may have posted it. Or search AHB if you're a member. I can pm or post it if you can't find it.

You enter all of your details and it will tell you what line length etc you need to serve at your specified pressure, temp, tube diameter etc. Bloody excellent it is :!:

Also what is your carbing routine?? temp, kpa, ross method, natural carb, serving pressure carb?
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Postby AidanMatthews » Monday Dec 17, 2012 8:38 pm

That spreadsheet sounds like the bomb ill find it.

First keg serving pressure for 7 days, undercarbed still froth.
2nd keg ross method worked great found it was more accurate than 48hrs @ 230 - 250 kpa i did that last time.

Anyway, i stuffed the font with my frozen flannel, wrapped the tap with another frozen flannel. Cooked tea.
Came back poured a freaking jug 30m later.

By the time i poured 300 to 500ml the beer out the tap wasnt frothy it was pouring clear like it should.

So that would be my line and tap temp right?

I will still lookup that spreadsheet though.
AidanMatthews

Postby AidanMatthews » Monday Dec 17, 2012 10:15 pm

Ok my line is 5/16ths when i need 3/16ths. This is the difference between 3-4m requirement of line and 14m as per the spreadseet.

When i check the kegking website and other resources 5/16ths is recommended for long runs in pubs/commercial installs.

What is crazy is the line that came with the keg had a larger inner diameter lol how did they expect it to work.
AidanMatthews

Postby jello » Tuesday Dec 18, 2012 11:16 am

2 degrees is pretty cold to serve beer. I wouldn't go that low unless i was serving VB. So in other words.....never.

This ice cold beer hitting a warm font might be contributing.

Kegging is an art form. It varies from keg to keg.
Jeff.
jello

Postby AidanMatthews » Tuesday Dec 18, 2012 9:07 pm

I have set it to 4c now, will see how i go. If that doesnt work smaller gauge line and ill run it through that spreadsheet for length. If that doesnt work a fan a pipe kit for the font.
AidanMatthews

Return to Kegging