Bottle to keg?

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Bottle to keg?

Postby simple » Wednesday Nov 07, 2012 7:38 pm

Hello all,

I am a newcomer to home brewing, and I may be about to ask what you may think is a stupid question... but here goes..

My first brew, (Coopers Lager, which came with the kit) was bottled about two and half weeks ago with coopers carbonation drops (2 drops per 740ml bottle). Tried this beer yesterday and was as flat as a tack. Good flavour, but flat.

Is it possible to pour this out of my bottles into my newly acquired keg and gas with co2, or am i better to re prime with sugar and wait another 2 weeks?

Cheers

Simon
simple

Re: Bottle to keg?

Postby Chris2012 » Wednesday Nov 07, 2012 7:56 pm

Simon, give your first batch another month atleast in bottle before trying again. Should be ok. I used to leave my bottles for 12 weeks min before drinking. Do not reprime, you'll get bombs..

Oh and the elephant.. Kegging after first batch? Slow down there cowboy you got lots to learn and you just made a heap of people jealous :D

Welcome to the forum, read and learn these first few key areas first and your off and awayhttp://homebrewandbeer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1966
Finish your beer!! There are sober kids in Africa
Chris2012

Postby rotten » Wednesday Nov 07, 2012 8:25 pm

Keg away my friend. I wish I did it so quick, its so much better than bottling :mrgreen:
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Postby Chris2012 » Wednesday Nov 07, 2012 8:49 pm

You suggest pouring his primed bottles into his keg and gassing it up? :shock: :shock:
Finish your beer!! There are sober kids in Africa
Chris2012

Postby rotten » Wednesday Nov 07, 2012 8:56 pm

Sure why not, he won't blow the keg up :wink:

What I meant was is to 'keg the next brew'
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Postby simple » Tuesday Nov 13, 2012 10:54 am

Hello All,

Emptied those bottles into kegs, gassed it @ 35psi for 36 hrs, reduced pressure and am now drinking pretty good beer.... thanks for all the advice.

Now have my second brew (A Coopers English Bitter) in my other keg, and a pale ale in the fermenter. All systems go!!!

Simon
simple

Postby bullfrog » Tuesday Nov 13, 2012 1:53 pm

Punch through that keg ASAP. By tipping the bottles into the keg, you've oxidised the whole batch and there's a good chance it's going to deteriorate pretty quickly.
bullfrog

Return to Kegging