Frothy Beer

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Frothy Beer

Postby droverz » Sunday Dec 08, 2013 3:33 pm

Hi all. I am new to this site and new to brewing. I have a keg set up with a Cornelius keg and a 10kg Co2. I have an old school, great working fridge. I dont have temps from the fridge but at one stage it was so cold that the beer in the lines was frozen!! I put my first brew down, the Coopers Mexican. It all went well, even pouring. I have now a Coopers Lager and its impossible to pour. 60% froth. I am unsure if I have over carbonated (even though I didnt do anything different than before). I have been reading through forums and maybe my lines are wrong?? I have 6mm lines which are both under 1m in length. I have been reading that 5mm is the way to go and length can play big part. Although my last brew was perfect. Any advice/help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Lisa :D
droverz

Re: Frothy Beer

Postby warra48 » Sunday Dec 08, 2013 4:56 pm

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to this forum.
I have always bottled my brews, so I am unfortunately of no help to you. However, there are plenty on here who will be able to give pointers to resolve your issue.
warra48

Postby barls » Sunday Dec 08, 2013 9:14 pm

First off we need temps and pressures to comment. mine sits at 6 degrees and 70 on the inner scale
Works fine
barls

Postby Pogierob » Monday Dec 09, 2013 9:07 pm

If it is over carbed then you need to let it go flat without exposing it to oxygen so basically turn off your gas and keep giving the pressure release valve every so often until it's flat. Then start again.

You can't over carb if you set it to pouring pressure and leave it for a week or so. Trick is working out your pouring pressure.
I can't help cause for safety against little kids my tap goes straight onto the keg. No hose.
Pogierob

Postby hyjak » Thursday Dec 26, 2013 10:47 pm

You probably got this all sorted but for future forum users. Your lines are too short, you need to slow the beer down through the lines longer runs of hose will acheive this.
There are numerous calculators/spreadsheets about with the technical information if needed.
hyjak

Postby droverz » Sunday Dec 29, 2013 4:59 pm

Hi All

Thanks for your help. I have got new, thinner and longer lines. All seems to working well now.
droverz

Return to Kegging