keg styles

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

keg styles

Postby Simo » Monday Oct 10, 2005 2:59 pm

g'day.
I've been reading up on kegs recently and have noticed that a lot of people tend to use the smaller, smooth kegs rather than bar style ones.
I can get the bigger style kegs for free and was wondering if it was possible to use these for homebrew? I asusme that I would have to clean it out and maybe replace some seals (would I?) but would anything else need to be done? Does anyone know the amount of beer it would take to fill such a keg and how to go about brewing that amount if I only have a single, 25l fermener?
I know what is envolved with normal kegging thanks to some old posts and links on here but I'm yet to see a discussion on using these kegs.

Cheers.
PS. I found this photo which shows what i'm talking about. The smaller kegs which I've seen more of is on the right, the one I'm talking about it on the left.
http://www.yashy.com/albums/Pictures/ke ... .sized.jpg
Simo

Postby undercover1 » Monday Oct 10, 2005 3:15 pm

Simo,
That's a 50 litre pub keg. The other is a 19l post mix keg. You will need to buy a bigger fermenter if you get a 50.
Where are you thinking of getting them? Some breweries are a bit fierce about people "borrowing" them.
Salut!
undercover1

Postby Dogger Dan » Monday Oct 10, 2005 8:53 pm

Over here the isue is claeaning them and filling them. They don't lend themselves to nicely to that.

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby Simo » Monday Oct 10, 2005 9:26 pm

I could tell you where I can get a few....but then I'd have to kill you :P Nah, it's just an offer I got from a mate who works at/for/with a brewery.

How do you think it would go only half filling a keg to begin with? Is this leaving to much of an airpocket in there for the carbonation process etc?
Simo

Return to Kegging