gassing a keg

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

gassing a keg

Postby almerick66 » Thursday Nov 11, 2004 11:27 am

I have just purchased all the bits and pieces to start kegging, I am using 50 liter kegs and I was wonderring how long and at what pressure to carbonate
almerick66

Postby Guest » Thursday Nov 11, 2004 10:41 pm

It depends on many things

1. How cold do you like your beer, the colder the more CO2 you can dissolve therefore less pressure required.

2. How carbonated you like your beer, North American style brews are more carbonated as a rule of thumb than say British Ales.

3 Diameter and length and shape of hose. Longer hose runs, uphill will lead to a loss at pressure at the tap.

Ultimately you need to deliver beer at the tap oulet at about 1 oz a sec.

So try carbonating a 35 F degree beer at 12 psi and use six or so to deliver it. If it is to slow, increase the psi until you are happy. Point to note, if you have it deliver to fast you will flatten the beer.

Rapid carbonation,

Hook up your CO2 tank and roll your keg full of beer around the floor for about 20 min. You will here the gas bubbling into the beer. When it stops your beer will be carbonated. Note, let sit for two hours refrigerated before serving.

MMMMM Good

Dogger

PS Hope you didn't get the dreaded POS Cobra Tap

Postby Oliver » Thursday Nov 11, 2004 11:19 pm

To put that in terms that most of the world can understand ;-):

1oz = 30ml

35F = 1.66C

12psi = 12 psi (or 83 kilopascals).

(Thanks to http://www.digitaldutch.com/unitconverter/ for these conversions.)

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Dogger Dan » Friday Nov 12, 2004 4:02 am

Sorry,

I grew up in Imperial, they converted to metric and forgot to teach it to me and about three quarters of Canada. :oops:

Just so you know, there is 5,280 feet in a mile to, unless it is a nautical mile which is one second of lattitude at the equator

Maybe I will just shut up and drink my beer

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby gregb » Friday Nov 12, 2004 7:10 pm

My Father taught me most things in imperial, my school teachers taught me metric, so I can adapt to either quite quickly.

So I upset people by using metric on the old (imperial)people and imperial on the young (metric) people.

Cheap giggles are where you find 'em somedays.
gregb

Postby Evo » Friday Nov 12, 2004 10:44 pm

I find that chilling the keg down to temp for a coupla days then gassing up to 200kpa for 48 hours normally does the trick. A bit less for an ale and a bit more for say a wheat beer, but somewhere around there. Test it as you go. I'd prefer not to roll my keg around to get the gas in quicker as this will also stir up any sediment that may have settled.

But yeah, don't be scared of the CO2, it aint rocket science.
Evo

ready to go

Postby almerick66 » Sunday Nov 14, 2004 7:56 pm

Thanks for all the feedback guys I have put my fermenter in the fridge to clear for a few days and I'll be off like a frog in a sock, ready to put in the keg. Fingers crossed.
almerick66

Postby Oliver » Thursday Nov 18, 2004 1:38 pm

Hey Dogger,

Thanks for that bit of info about nautical miles and seconds of latitude at the equator. I'll store that away for a quiz night!

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby wombat » Sunday Nov 21, 2004 3:53 pm

how much difference does rolling your keg whilst carbonating make to your beer? does it affect the taste of it? i had no idea you could have same-day beer :) is it drinkable same-day or is it just bearable?
btw nice info on the nautical miles thing. my mate has a gps, i think we have a project for this week - map out how many nautical miles to the home brew store...
-wombat
wombat

Postby Oats » Sunday Nov 21, 2004 6:14 pm

Still go the hardware shop and ask for 4 meteres of 2 inch pipe!
gotta love it!!
Oats

Postby Dogger Dan » Sunday Nov 21, 2004 9:11 pm

Holy Shit Oats!!!!!

Slow down man someone might get hurt LOL

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby gregb » Monday Nov 22, 2004 6:02 pm

Love your work Oats, gotta try that one. :D
gregb

Return to Kegging